1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR-21 Extremely slow all of a sudden

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hawkman427, May 27, 2008.

1. hawkman427

hawkman427 New Member

May 27, 2008
    We have had this unit for quite awhile now, one of the first off the block. About a month ago things started to crawl - push pause and wait 30 seconds, hit FF and it never stops, hit guide and it appears 20 seconds later. I am not exaggerating. It was slightler slower than my previous DTV HD unit, but I accepted that. Now it is at times (happens sporatically) beyond belief.

I called DTV and they said they knew about it and they were working on a fix. Yea - they also told me this area would have HD local channels in a month - that was 2 years ago.

Had anyone else seen this drastic slowdown in the last month? Once again - I know it is slow to start with, and I know it is not the remote. Email me if this has happened to you or if you know of any existing threads on this subject.

Thanks.

2. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 5, 2006
    No, you should not be seeing this kind of slow down.

Sounds like a bad drive to me. You probably need to call DirecTV and have it replaced.

By the way, welcome to DBSTalk!

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why do you want people to email you? can't they just post here in the thread?

4. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    If this is the case then there are are number of very flaky HR21s out there. I have times (maybe once per week) where pressing any button on either the remote or the front panel appears to do nothing and the between 45 seconds to 2 minutes later, the unit begins to respond to the stacked up key presses. This showed up with one of the newer NRs. I see it in 22D.

5. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Yes, I've seen it. It didn't start until the previous national release for me.

Reboot and you should be fine for a little while.

It's possibly exacerbated by signal loss such as caused by rain fade. I'm not sure they ever worked out the bugs related to dropped signal.

6. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

I had that problem a few weeks ago. I rebooted and everything was fine.

7. hawkman427

hawkman427 New Member

May 27, 2008
    It does come and go. Just never had it happen with any of my previous units. In comparison I think that DTV gave itself a black eye when it dumped TIVO for this piece of crap. I watched 90% of everything thru my HD OTA - now they even got rid of that that! When my stinking contract is up, unless they have made great improvements, I'm going to cable. 10 years w/DTV and they have regressed.

Also, I bought the HD package, it doesn't have most of the channels I wanted to watch in HD, so after moaning for awhile I upgraded to the next HD level for $10 more a month and I still don't get the HD channels I want (HD science etc...). Pisses me off cause I'm all ready paying around $20 a month extra for HD and what they are giving me is NOT worth it. Sorry, but I just don't sit around watching CNN in HD ALL the time!

8. gbwtfo

gbwtfo Cool Member

Sep 1, 2006
    FWIW, I have had similar problems as of late, I'd say within the last four weeks or so (I don't know for how long now what releases that correlates to...) Although it annoys me to no end, I thought perhaps it had to do with running at 95% full most of the time. Grrrr....

Also, FWIW, I have had this unit since somewhere around September 2006, and have otherwise had no problems with it that weren't directly the result of buggy national releases (i.e., I have never downloaded a CE release).

9. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    Can't agree more.

Hardware - Excellent & Software - (undesirable).

Too bad you can't put TiVo software on it.

DTV software lacks so much that TiVo has it's not funny.

10. hawkman427

hawkman427 New Member

May 27, 2008
    Thats about the same time I started getting the big slowdowns (crawls) also, around a month or so ago. I have also had this unit almost a year. We thought it was the HD full, but cleared it out and it still happened. Reboots do temorarily fix it, but they come back.

Time will Tell. Nice to know that it's not just me having these issues.

11. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Same here. It probably is software-related; some bogus value gets put into a variable and then that function takes forever. Rebooting will clear the condition, but it may recur.

12. captainjrl

captainjrl Legend

Jun 25, 2007
    Mine has been a little slower since the recent software upgrade on Thursday morning.

13. cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    Ditto ... this has been occuring intermittently on our HR20-700 for the last couple of months. It was soooo horrible 4 weeks ago that we decided to just bite the bullet and do a Full System RESET - where everything is deleted and reset to factory defaults. Of course it was a PITA to have to get all of our season passes, etc. keyed back in. It once again became slow just yesterday. - 0x22d

14. hawkman427

hawkman427 New Member

May 27, 2008
    It's been awhile since my initial posting so I thought I'd do a follow up.

It is Worse.

That's about it. Sometimes it happens 2-3 times in one day. Sometimes to the point I have to reset it. So disappointing. I haven't called back yet because I want to be prepared for the call when I demand a new one. It wasn't exactly cheap originally!

It never seems to last long, but what a royal pain in the 'you know what' when it does happen.

15. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I have the same problems. If it's hardware, they better start building a lot of HR-22s.

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    hawkman & maruuk - are either of your DVRs networked? There is a known bug with networked DVRs. See here and here. This seems to be a problem especially in systems with "HP All In One" printers in the network.

17. SubSlr08

SubSlr08 AllStar

Dec 4, 2007
    I'm having the same problem here - and I disconnected my network days ago after seeing the above posts.
    Results - absolutely no change. Sometimes it takes a minute for the HR21 to respond to a request for "Guide" and it gets even worse if I'm looking for "Episodes" or "Showings" - it's so slow that you think it's died and locked up, except for the little bar-graph running to show that it's not~!
    LOL - ain't electronics fun! :p

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Nope, just plain vanilla hookup.

19. somguy

somguy Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Tamarac,FL
    Over the last several months I have noticed that my Black HR21-700 responds very slowly to remote commands and will act like this for several minutes at a time, usually once per day.

For example, if you try to change it to channel 401, it take 10 seconds to recognize the #4, never getting the 0 and 1, and then it will change to channel 4 but around a minute or two later.

It happens with any command, not just going to change channels although that's the most common thing one does with their remote.

I had recently done a full reset on the machine, setting it back to factory defaults but it still behaves the same way. I have only had the dvr in my home since November of 2007.

20. hawkman427

hawkman427 New Member

May 27, 2008
    Yea, I've got the same bar - it is the only clue that I even pushed a button 20 seconds ago :(

Regarding the network - yes I have it networked now, but I didn't when I started having the original problem. No printers, no computers, just an internet cable going from a router into the receiver.

I see now that I am not alone with this happening. If it is happening to anyone else please join in, we would like to know.