1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-21 questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drew64, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I have just upgraded from a direct tv with tivo unit to the HR 21 for HD. So far it is ok. Couple of things I miss. I had a few questions that maybe someone could address. First I have my bedroom TV hooked up thru HDMI from the HR-21 to back of the TV. It is an LG LCD. I notice that on some of the HD channels the audio will disappear but on the same SD channel it will have audio. Is this an HDMI problem. If I change channels and then come back to that HD channel the volume is fine or if I turn TV on then off again. I could hook the DVR up thru component or optical audio if needed.

Second what is the USB port on the front of the unit for. Is it only for hard drive expansion or can it be used for something else. Could it be used to plug a USB adapter to get it on a network?

My last question is there a way to switch between the 2 tuners on the DVR. Like if you are recording a show and watching another I used to be able to press the down button on the remote and switch to the recorded show.

2. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    The USB ports aren't really used for anything now, except to power up a laptop cooler for cooling the DVR.

The HR2x DVRs only have one buffer. You can't switch between 2 different tuners like you could with your TiVo. A lot of people complain about this as if the world is coming to an end. It doesn't really matter to me.

3. Gweeto

Gweeto AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Is this really the case regarding switching between tuners using your remote like you could with my old TIVO. I understand that is does not have dual live tuners but there is a very valid reason to want to be able to change tuners just for the sake of doing so. For example, lets say you are recording one show on one tuner and watching live TV on the other. You can change channels on live TV just fine and use the previous channel button to jump back and forth between live tv channels. But lets say you want to switch over to the recording program. The only way I can find to do this is to find it in the progam guide again and tune to it. This was a really useful feature on the TIVO regardless of the dual live buffers.

If anyone knows a faster way I would really appreciate it.

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    There are severl DLB and why or when are the HR20/HR21's going to get it threads.
    There is a work around....I'll see if I can find it in the resource forum.

5. vxman007

vxman007 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2007
    The Dual Live Buffer workaround is posted here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=118382

It's not the same as the DLB functionality as the Tivo because you have to start recording one of the progams you wish to watch, but it works.

Edit: As for the USB port, it can't be used for an external HD. An external hard drive has to be connected using the ESata port on the back of the receiver. Currently, the USB port is used for the AM-21 to receive local over the air transmissions or to power a cooling system as described above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.