1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-21 won't power on

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jjk454ss, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Cool Member

Mar 26, 2008
    OK, I got a new receiver from DirecTV because my old one kept getting the choppy recordings. Anyway. the new one seems to be just as bad, and since it is a refurb I was going to send that one back and keep my new one.

But, I just unhooked the refurb and hooked the new one back up and I can't seem to get it to turn on. The receiver is running, the hard drive or something anyway, but no lights come on and I get nothing to the TV. Am I just doing something stupid, or what could the problem be?

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    the recordings should not be choppy... you may want to check your signal strenghts to make sure your dish is properly aligned...

try leaving the receiver unplugged for about an hour and try again... also, try taking the access card out and putting it back in...

3. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Maybe the multiswitch is bad.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There are a number of steps you can take to revive a receiver that isn't booting.

First, when you plug it in, (I know this sounds stupid but...) so you push the power button on the front panel. Do you see any lights at all? What do you hear? Is it just fan noise or do you hear a hard drive starting up if you listen really carefully?

Second, if you unplug it again and plug it in after 15 minutes, do you have the same issue?

Third, do you have a network cable plugged in? If so, will it boot with the network cable unplugged?

Beyond that there are other remedies, but they may involve losing the contents of your hard drive.

5. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Cool Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. After leaving it unplugged for awhile then plugging it back in in works fine.

6. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    glad you got it working again... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.