1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR-24 and ethernet passthrough- how could I get this to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by videoboy77, Nov 19, 2013.

1. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have an HR 22 upstairs. It has a decca ethernet to coax adapter connected to it with the ethernet connected to my router.

Downstairs is an HR 24. That just has coax connected to it and is on the network via deca.

I really need to tap in to the internet connection on the HR 24 but when you plug the ethernet cable in to the HR 24 it disable networking over coax.

I know it's probably not supported. But is there ANY way to get this to work so my HR 24 can pass off the internet connection over coax so I can have a hard wired network connection down stairs. (wifi isn't an option, long story)

Would a Broadband connection kit help in any way? I'm wondering if there's any other way to connect the DVRs to the ethernet that would enable this?

As I keep researching thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thank you!

2. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Okay, I'm seeing info on page 18 and 19 of the Solid Signal coax network white paper (which is really great btw) that it might be possible with a cinema connection kit.

OPTION 1: To be used for HR24, H24, H25, and HR34 receivers that do not require a DECA
    You’ll need a combination of parts including:
    DIRECTV SWS-2 Satellite 2-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz) Netgear ProSafe FS105 5-port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch (FS105) any wired switch 7 ft Enhanced Category 5 Cable - Grey (or any Cat5e or Cat6 cables (or make your own) Solid Signal Custom Cable Lengths RG6 with High Quality Solid Signal Connectors
    To install:
    1. Place a 2-way splitter between your cable line and your devices. Connect the DIRECTV receiver to
    one output port, and the Cinema Connection Kit to the other.
    2. Connect the Cinema Connection kit to a network switch, and connect all other devices to that switch.

SO it looks like this will work, and would allow me to pick up the internet connection. Anyone try this?

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Dunno.

Can you not run an ethernet wire along side the coax you have now?

4. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    No. Can't run ethernet, can't do wifi.

But according to Solid Signal this will work. So my plan is to get a splitter and a cinema connection kit and tap in to the coax network, put a wifi router on it and have wifi downstairs.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I'm somewhat in the same boat. I want to have an internet connection at the location of my coax-networked H24 to connect my DVR to Netflix. I just purchssed a DECA adapter and power supply for $10 (shipped) via eBay to do this (I will use a splitter to connect the DECA adapter to the satellite coax feed). I haven't installed it yet but

am pretty sure it will work.

It would seem that the same approach would work with a CCK-W and it might also work with it in the passthrough mode. The control panel for the CCK-W shows a heading for Access Point mode but it is greyed out.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'll give you a hint, to get internet out of the coax network, you must get it the same way it goes in...

7. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I got this working exactly as the Solid Signal white paper described. Used a splitter and the CCK. Plugged a wireless router into the CCK and now I have wifi network access downstairs where my wifi never reached and where I couldn't run Ethernet. This is a great solution to extend your computer network into an area that can't a connection any other way. Thanks!

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I just use a DECA with a Power Injector (ebay $6) and have my GenieGo plugged into it. At one point, I also had a small switch between the DECA and GG for a gateway for my solar panels. So yes, it works, no, it's not supported other than self-supported.

9. Dec 3, 2013 #9 of 10
    mrjacobrussell

mrjacobrussell New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Sounds like what you need is a CCKW

On cckw, plug ethernet from cckw to your device first.
    Then connected coax network lines (inline with receiver) then power the CCKW up.

Now you have a deca to ethernet bridge. Anywhere you have a receiver you can pop ethernet out to a device or switch/WAP

No splitters needed. :)

10. SolidSignal

SolidSignal Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I'm glad our tutorials are helping people! If there's one you'd like to see, let me know via PM or through the contact links at The Solid Signal Blog.