1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 24 bad fan and some related questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pilferk, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1 of 25
    pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    Searched and couldn't find a recent/active topic on this subject...

We just had a fan on our HR24-100 go kaput (operating temp after 1 hour, powered, but turned off, was about 145 F). My wife called, talked to the CS agent, and they are drop shipping a new unit to us, overnight, for free. Current unit's about 2 yrs old, and we do have the protection plan.

BUT, here's the kicker: The CS agent told us the he was requesting that the old unit NOT BE returned. He said it's a "dead unit" policy. They took the DTV card number, and he said that if there is no additional info sent in the next 24 hours, or no shipping carton provided with the new unit, they dont' want it back.

So..here's my question: We have about 50 hours of content on the dead DVR that I can't find streaming anywhere at the moment. Question: Any way to get the content off? OR, alternately, continue to use the box with our "whole home" (after I pop the lid and replace the fan..since I no longer have to worry about warrenty issues) JUST to stream the content off of it, before we trash it? Or will the deactivated card prevent that? Would the "new" activated card allow us to swap the box in JUST to stream that content off of it?

Keep in mind, I'm not looking to do anything that will violate Directv's TOS. If any of the above suggestions do that...it's because I'm not familiar with any potential violation. Just set me straight! :)

We currently have 2 other (so 3, total) DVRs in the house, if that helps.

Thanks for any help on this!!

2. Jul 7, 2014 #2 of 25
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The only way to get that content off of your defective HR24 is to record those shows in real time to a DVD Recorder, VCR, or PC's video capture hardware/software. There's no way to transfer them digitally. Once that old DVR is deactivated, it becomes a boat anchor and you won't be able to view its recordings.

3. Jul 7, 2014 #3 of 25
    pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    Thats what I was afraid of. I was hoping I could use it as a media server, at least, even if I had to swap in one of the other, activated, DTV cards from another of our DVRs.

I knew there was no way to transfer them digitally....I was just hoping maybe I could make it actually funciton, with a new fan, before pitching it to the recycling center...along side the replacement unit they are sending us. Again, not long term. I'm not looking to get a free dvr out of Directv....but just until I can get the content that's on there, off.

4. Jul 7, 2014 #4 of 25
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Get a USB powered fan and put it right where the grill is on the HR24.
    Don't activate the new one for a few days.

The cards in them can not be swapped. As soon as it is activated it stores the serial number of the receiver on it. From then on it knows if it has been moved or not and will not work.

5. Jul 7, 2014 #5 of 25
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    To be on the safe side, check its RID next month to verified it is no longer a lease unit.

6. Jul 7, 2014 #6 of 25
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You may be able to watch for a while after it's deactivated if you disconnect the cable before it's officially deactivated. But safest is to keep it activated until you have watched all that you cannot re-record to the new unit. Good luck!

7. Jul 7, 2014 #7 of 25
    pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    We tried...it keeps things going for an extra hour or so..but still only get about 2 hours of up time out of it. Without the extra fan...I can get through 1 44 min show before the temp hits about 145 and approaches shut down. :(

We'll live. Some of the content will hit netflix late in July (Lost Girl, Continuum)...the rest, hopefully, we'll catch either via repeat, amazon prime, or we'll have to outright buy (Bates Motel, Warehouse 13).

Just frustrating. You'd think, by now, they'd have a solution for this type of thing....

8. Jul 7, 2014 #8 of 25
    pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    Thanks! I'll make sure we do that! Don't want them thinking we have more units than we do!

9. Jul 7, 2014 #9 of 25
    pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    I'm gonna try some experiments along those lines, once it's deactivated. See if I can just bring it up with no sat cable and let wifi connect and see what happens.

I think we're just gonna end up losing it. If I can't be sure....it's not worth the time, $$, and energy of cracking open the old box to replace the fan. And without a new fan...it's an hour on (or two if I run an external RIGHT on the grates), and 2 or 3 hours off to cool down. Not optimal for binge watching the 50-ish hours of content on there....

10. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It is because a year down the road, their audit dept may demand you pay for a non-return lease unit.

1 person likes this.
  11. pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    Jeesh, no, definitely do not want that!

I've made a note on our calender to call next month to make sure! We'll hold the box til then, just in case.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    And if you find still marked as lease -- demand a Recovery Kit.

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You can experiment now. Just disconnect the sat cable. A cheap USB fan should help!
    I suspect the heat issue is the box, not the external.... The internal HDD runs even when external is active, or so I have been told.

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    ...or at least an email from DirecTV stating that you don't need to return the receiver. This way, you have proof, should the question ever arise.

1 person likes this.
  15. p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    You may want to put a fan pushing on the input side and a fan pulling on the output side so that you are really get true airflow.

16. pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    To be clear: NO external drive on this. Just internal storage. The FAN I have is external (USB, as you suggest). It helps, a little..but only really extends "up time" by about an hour.

It's DEF the box.

I might run some preliminary experiments today...but my worry is about what happens when the DTV card is deactivated. And that likely won't "take" until either later tonight or after the new box is activated.

17. pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    I've only got one on hand right now. I've tried it both ways (intake and outtake) and it doesn't seem to improve things MORE as an outtake than it does as an intake..

Both would probably be optimal, but if it all works out, I'm going to crack the box and replace the internal fan. I don't want to buy another usb fan, too. If I had a second..I'd defnitely do this, though!

18. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    If you really want to work at getting everything watched, just have them install the new receiver as a second receiver and don't deactivate the first one. Once you've watched all you wish from the old one, then call and have it deactivated. It will only cost you the $6 monthly "extra tv" fee while it is still activated. The HD and DVR fees are all per account, not per receiver.

19. pilferk

pilferk New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    CT
    I might call back and ask...but I think a condition of drop shipping the new unit was the deactivation of the old. Meaning, if I ask them to leave the old unit active, they'll either charge us for the new one OR the old one.

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Not to mention activating the new one without deactivating the old one would trigger a new 2 year agreement.