1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-24 Different Audio Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by butterwm, Jul 31, 2010.

1. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    We just got out DirecTV installed this week. They installed a HR24-500 for the DVR box and two H24 high def boxes for the other TV's. On the HR24, we are having a problem that if we are watching a show in HD and then go back to a SD channel there is no audio. If you go back to a HD channel, the audio is there but not on the SD channels. I have to do a reset of the receiver which fixes the problem until the next time. We have had the box for three days now and had to do this each day. It doesn't do this on the H24 boxes, jut the HR24. Is it possible the HR24 we got is defective or could it be something else?

2. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Call D* and talk to the tech department, maybe they can help. Sound like is a bug issue. Good luck.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Something's goofy.

How do you listen to your audio, just through the TV's speakers or are you using a home theater receiver?

How do you have the pieces connected together?

4. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I have it run via HDMI to my receiver. It was the same setup that I had my cable box on so I'm sure it isn't something with that. I feel like I got lucky getting the HR24-500 with the initial setup so I'm worried if I call DirecTV and the DVR is bad they might swap it with a different model. My installer left me his number so I'm not sure if he could help me out or swap DVRs?

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    It still could be a HDMI handshake issue as problems there can vary with sources.

Although as a guy who dislikes HDMI, I will be the first to admit I blame it for everything, including global warming.

Still, it would be interesting to hear what would happen with a optical or coaxial digital audio connection to your receiver so that the HDMI cable is only passing the video.

6. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Wouldn't a HDMI hand shake problem cause no audio on everything versus just the SD channels?

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'm sure you're right, although HDMI has made me look foolish in the past.

I just think it would be interesting to try a different digital audio connection. It would be a good troubleshooting tool if nothing else.

I mean, I'll go with the HR24 being funko. Makes sense to me. It's just that I'd be absolutely certain that was the case before I went through the hassle of returning it. Trying a different digital audio hookup and getting the same negative result would help ensure the DVR is bad.

And, BTW, butterwm, welcome to DBSTalk. You're also welcome not to take my advice, although the line of folks ahead of you is long.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 15
    cyberdude_pete

cyberdude_pete New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I have the same issue. Have had it for-EVER. However, I am using TOSLink for audio, so I would question the HDMI root.

My Audio pipe: AV receiver (Marantz) -> Zektar switch -> NEC display.

Happened with older Zektar switch too, so unless there is a product-wide issue, I dismiss the Zektar as the issue.

Would love a solution too : )

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 15
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You've had it for-EVER with a product that's been on the market for three months? :scratchin

Glad to know it's not an HDMI issue. As said before, I think HDMI is responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs, so I am not rational on this subject.

butterwm, did you check into this further?

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    !rolling

11. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I called DirecTV and they sent a tech out. He listened to what I told him and suggested swapping DVR's. However, he was going to give me a HR21 for my HR24-500. I told him I felt happy that I got the newer equipment with the install and didn't want to take a step back that far. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the HR21 series doesn't support the MRV which I have.

The guy who did the installation said all they install were the HR24's these days and they have plenty of them. The tech that came out yesterday told me they are having equipment shortages and having to cancel installations for lack of equipment. I'm thinking maybe I should try and call the tech who did my installation to see if he could swap the HR24-500 for another HR24-500.

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The HR21 series supports MRV just fine. If they are going to do a swap, however, since you are used to the 24, I'd try to keep that model.

I have both an HR21-200 and an H21-200 and they both work fabulously for MRV (I'm using a DECA system, but did use just ethernet for a long time, as well)

13. ktm250

ktm250 AllStar

May 22, 2010
    I am also having the same problem. It seems to have started in the last week or so. Up until then I have not seen this problem. I get it when I change from a HD channel to a HD channel. I don't watch SD unless I have to.

14. butterwm

butterwm New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    The original installed we used is out of town this week. When he gets back, I am going to see if he can swap the DVR with another HR24-500. I figure that will either fix the problem or it is a software/firmware problem with the DVR that will hopefully get fixed eventually.

Except for this one problem, I am happy with the setup so far. Picture quality has been just as good as cable, more channels and a lot cheaper. The MVR is pretty neat and the ondemand through the internet isn't bad either.

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I played around with a HR24 for the first time last week, butterwm. I can understand why you'd accept nothing else. My HR20 and HR23 work just fine, but that HR24 was sweet.

More will fill the pipeline over the next 90 days. DirecTV now has three suppliers for the HR24. Since your problem isn't fatal, I'd wait to replace it until you can get one. I do like your idea of contacting your original installer. You've figured out something that many folks who pass through here never get: a good relationship with your installer can work miracles.