1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-24 IR mode remote garbage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CraterGrillo, Nov 24, 2011.

1. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    I have an hr24 that has had a VERY frustrating intermittent IR issue (about 1/3 of ir commands are not registered at all by the receiver) since I got this machine. In fact I replaced a previous one that I thought was a hardware problem, and the new one has the same issue!

I've checked for interference, and all the other resets/upgrades, and nothing helped. Eventually I switched it to RF mode and the problems went away. I'd hoped a newer firmware version would have fixed it, but I just switched back to IR and immediately the problems returned.

So this means I can't use my universal remote (or use my iphone as a remote which I wanted to do) because this stupid thing won't respond to IR codes reliably.

Has ANYONE figured out how to fix this? Or whether getting ANOTHER hr24 will solve the problem?

Is there any other way around this?

SOMEBODY must have figured it out after all this time, I'd think.

"Help me Obi Wan Kinobe! You're my only hope!"

Steve

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Could it be your TV location, backlight settings?

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    LCD screens are known to emit a lot of IR, which may be the issue here.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If you're networked- or the receiver is on your LAN- you could use IP control for a number of functions.

Could the remote be dodgy?

Is there something wrong with using RF? (Other than incompatibility with a U-remote.)

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It could be your remote. It could be the HR24. More than one have had a bad IR sensor.

Unless you're using a 3DTV, in which case the transmitter for the glasses is overwhelming your remote.

6. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Nope. Tried eliminating all surrounding "interference". No change.

7. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Nope. I used cardboard and prevented the IR receiver from seeing anything but the remote. No change.

8. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Using universal remotes or directv remote - same issue. So it's not the remote.

I CAN use the RF, except that I now have a pronto universal remote for everything except the directv stuff.

The whole idea is to have a single remote.

IR remotes are NOT magic. I can't believe in 2011 a system would have such trouble with simply responding to a remote.

Steve

9. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Can IP control do pause, play, rewind, list, guide (all the normal remote functions)?

Steve

10. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    This is not with 3d - just normal 2d.

HR24/remote were replaced initially because I thought I'd proven that there was a hardware problem. But with the 2nd unit, exactly the same problem. Tried lots of remotes - no change.

So the only thing that makes "sense" to me is that the HR24 itself has an issue, and I got 2 bum units in a row with the problem.

Unless it's the HR firmware, but in that case I think everyone would have the issue. I find it hard to believe folks could live with this (2 out of every 3 presses does something).

Most users don't have this issue do they? If not, it must be unit specific, and maybe I should figure out if I can return it. The only problem is I think I bought it outright so I'm not paying the monthly bill. Does directv still have the obligation to replace it for me?

Steve

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure what your did, but it may not have done what you expected.
    Do you have any power setting in the TV, since it seems you do have an LCD.
    I played with my Sony's power settings and found one that didn't swamp and IR sensor I was using for other devices.
    I had to play with this when I changed to this LCD, from my older RPTV.
    While any receiver may have a defective IR senors, it seems "odd" to have two in a row that do.

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm thinking the same thing. It's possible to have two defective sensors, but the odds would certainly be against it. Having worked on electronics for awhile you tend to look for a common denominator in a situation like this (interference.) I would try testing the receiver in another room/environment if possible.

13. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have a HR24 that did not respond to IR at all. I tried resetting the remote settings, different remotes, nothing worked. Out of desperation I did a "reset everything" and it started to work perfectly, and have not had a problem since.

If you "own" your DVR (which means you probably would have had to buy it from a DirecTV employee or from a commercial user) then DirecTV is only obligated to replace it if you have the extended protection plan. If any case, you still pay $6 per month for service unless this is your only receiver.

14. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    If I remember correctly, I actually tried turning the TV off, switching channels a number of times, and saw that the DVR wouldn't register every time.

But I'll try it again.

I have a small electronics design company, so I also wouldn't expect 2 in a row to be defective. They were from the same company at the same time however so they COULD have been from the same lot of units.

Steve

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "wouldn't and shouldn't" :lol:
    Maybe try moving the receiver some distance, or to another room/TV.
    My Sony LCD floods the whole room, so it was hard finding a spot that this other IR receiver could be without being triggered/flooded.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would suggest turning off everything in the room and even surrounding rooms; lights, tv, everything... And see if the problem remains. I really think its interference.

17. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    I'll give that a shot this afternoon. I'd LOVE to have this be the answer. I'll let everyone know what I find out...

And thanks for the comments everyone!

Steve

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Have you tried using a different remote code set?

19. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've tried different remotes (2 diff directv remotes), plus my universal remote. All had same issues.

BUT I figured something out, that I'll post separately...

20. CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    OK I figured something out.

Problem still exists even if I turn off the tv. Hmmm... So it's not LCD interference (that's what I did that I thought eliminated "interference" before).

BUT if I turn on the incandescent lights in the room, OR open the blinds to let some sun in the room (not a ton, but some light), the problem starts happening.

I'm surprised that the IR system is so sensitive, where other IR devices I've had never exhibit problems.

Does this make sense? And if so, is there anything I can do about it? For example, use and IR repeater and have the IR repeated directly into the DVR?

Any ideas?