1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 24 speed and diagnostic code

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by t_h, Sep 24, 2011.

1. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    After getting tired of yelling at my HR20 and brand spanking new refurbished HR21 because I was pushing buttons on the remote and nothing was happening for 3-7 seconds, I bought (yes, I know, leased) a new HR24.

Wow, these things are enormously fast. I expected them to be snappier but not this fast. Sometimes the menu is up before I let go of the button.

But I see one issue, and that is when doing a system test, I get a failure that says that the receiver is experiencing some network issues and if I'm having problems with playback I should contact directv. I've gotten diagnostic codes of 72-79-090 and 71-73-79-771. I tried unplugging the swm power supply for a minute and plugging it back in and rebooting. Same results. The other two receivers arent reporting this error. I just had the swm/deca stuff installed last week.

I'm not having any playback issues, everything seems to work fine. I do have a ~2 week window to return this to J&R for another one, although I have to pay for shipping and we already have some recordings on the dvr.

I think that if it breaks down a month or two from now that Directv will send me another POC refurb from 2008 and I'll be stuck with that and my new 2 year commitment, along with having paid out of pocket to get the HR24 for its decent performance. Is that the case or will they replace a 24 with another 24?

Is the diagnostic code even something to worry about? I've seen plenty of threads where people get diagnostic codes about dish pointing and some people have reported network/playback diagnostic codes without actual problems.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I suspect what you're seeing is a low bit-rate of the DECA being reported on the 24.

Press both guide & > "buttons" on the front panel to get into the menu for the coax.

You should see two test screens [PHY level & PHY MESH] that look like these: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2728362&postcount=38

If the PHY MESH is below 220, it would trigger an error in the system test.

3. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Thanks VOS. Whats "Buttons" on the front panel? Can I get to this from the test menu in diagnostic mode?

Would a low phy mesh indicate a defective deca component in the receiver or something in the cable plant? This unit has the power inserter on it and I might be close to the 15' minimum distance from the splitter. When it was installed, it was upstairs and the power inserter was on the HR21 downstairs. I didnt run the system test there but it always passes the power on self test on a boot/reboot.

4. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Ah, the right arrow button. I figured it out.

My phy mesh shows values for nodes 0,1,2 and 3 They're all around 250, lowest is 243.

On the info screen, I see four nodes. The phy levels are N/A, 24, 38 and 36. Dropped session count is 6.

Give you any ideas? As I mentioned, everything seems to be working ok. Only glitch since the third receiver and swm were installed was my wife said a couple of times she went to watch a show over mrv and all the shows on the receiver she wanted to watch from were showing the red circle with the dash through it. I know that means it thinks there already is an active mrv connection, and when I tried it later there wasnt a problem. That was just on the first day when she was still trying to figure out what she could watch where.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    OK, your rates & levels are in the "good" range, while you've had some network issues with the dropped session count being 6.
    If you've reconfigured things lately, this could explain the dropped sessions.
    These should drop to zero over the next few days.

Low mesh rates are due to poor signal to noise ratio of the DECA, which normally is splitter/coax related.

While it's a good idea to keep an eye on things like what you're having [being new], "for now" I'd let it sit for a while and see what it does.

71 = Cannot Detect Internet
    73 = Cannot detect Network connection or dial tone.
    79 = Indicates that the network connection has dropped multiple MRV sessions over the past 5 days.

6. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I originally installed the HR24 in a bedroom, then swapped it with the HR21 that was in the living room, then swapped their whole home names. When I saw the system test error, I tried unplugging the PI for a few minutes and plugged it back in. So I can see a few errors.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I only have a couple of weeks to return it to the store to get another new one. My wife also just told me she had the same problem again this morning where the 24 said that stuff on the hr20 wasnt available to watch. But it wasnt like that when I looked at it.

If I have directv do a truck roll (I have the protection plan), is there a possibility they'll have another 24 on the truck?

By the way, I've been reading a whole lot of old threads regarding the DECA and the network speed rates. The DECA signal is supposed to be 100Mb/s full duplex, which means it can transmit and receive at 100Mb/s concurrently, which aggregates to 200Mb/s. So if you were using two receivers and doing mrv from each to the other, both would be able to make use of the full 100Mb/s rate, allowing for between 8 and 30% overhead depending on protocol and packet sizes. So when you're seeing bitrates in excess of 200 on the deca menu you just showed me, that means the physical mesh can handle (in my case) 243 and 252Mb/s. Thats shared between all of the receivers and the deca-router interconnect. Each of those devices can send and/or receive at 100Mb/s via the mesh. So you'd consider the mesh to work like a network 'hub' where the media is shared.

Perhaps this stuff was already sorted out somewhere in the 9,000,000,000 threads here, but I saw it as still being a question in a few that I read.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Some of this [red circles] may be due to your router.
    I've seen this a few times, but it's never lasted a min.
    There may be some delay in the receivers "handling" the network protocols when this happens. :shrug:
    If/when it doesn't clear up on its own, rebooting receivers is required [which I haven't had to do in a long time].
    The receivers using the white DECA are limited to 100 Mb/s, while those with the internal DECA don't seem to be as they're the only ones that can run these tests.
    Yes the 250 Mb/s is the network speed, but since MRV runs on the average ≈ 12 Mb/s for HD, this leaves lots of headroom for trickplay.

DECA has nothing to do with SWiM, so only play with the PI for SAT issues.

"I might" power the receivers down, reboot the CCK, and then bring each receiver up one at a time. This should give everything a "fresh start" and then track any issues/problems.

8. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Sounds good, I'll give that a whirl later on when nobody is watching tv.

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Just remember that if they do a truck roll and change the HR-24 you will not be able to return it to the store as it will not be the same S/N as you bought.

I know we look at those carefully here years ago in the past with swapped bad parts for good new parts. Same model or not the vendors will not replace them as it isn't a serial number we bought from them.

10. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Yeah, the cardboard box even has the serial # and access card #. They want that back, plus the other box it was boxed inside if I return it. I got a kick out of the outside box, it was labeled with check marks for turkey necks, legs or gizzards. I guess that lowers the rate of theft in the shipping process.

Well I turned everything off cold, plugged in the swm's power inserter, plugged in the swm/deca/router interconnect box (whatever thats called, little black box with 3 lights on it), rebooted my router and cable modem just on general principle, then turned the hr24 on, waited for it to boot all the way, did a 'connect to internet' and got a success from that, then the hr20, then the hr21. The only weird little aberration I noted was that when the three were up, my downstairs living room box, which used to be labeled 'down' in mrv now had just the 6 digit receiver #. As I mentioned above, when I switched the two dvr's between rooms, I changed the downstairs hr21 box's name to 'dn' and the bedrooms hr24 name to 'bd', then after I swapped them I changed the 21's name to 'bedroom' and the downstairs 24's to 'down'. I did the stutter step naming to make sure I didnt have two dvr's with the same name on the wire at the same time.

But it looks like something was wrong with the name on the 24 after the changes, because while it still called itself 'down' through a couple of reboots, when I cold started everything and went through the network setup again, it erased the name.

I also stuck an extra ~6' of cable in between the power inserter and the wall outlet, just to make sure I definitely have 15'.

The coax network test screen numbers are all pretty much the same.

The box still reports playback issues when doing a full system test.

I'm wondering if some part of the test is reading a log file of prior errors and reporting those, as opposed to current state issues. Might take a while for those to go away.

So whatever funny state the hr24's mrv name was in might be why we had those weird 'you cant watch the recordings on this box' dashed red circle events, when nobody was watching anything anywhere else in the house. But they do only happen to my wife when I'm not around and she's still trying to sort out the whole idea of three receiver mrv and who can watch what from where.

So we'll see if any more mrv gremlins pop up and i'll re-run the system test every few days to see if the playback issues thing goes away.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think the coax addition sound like it was pointless. The 15' "rule" was for the SWM8, and as long as you have that much between "any SWiM" and the PI [to an RF port] it's good.
    I'd look more into the naming issue, as this may be a sign of where "the problem" lies. If you can't get it to correctly display, it may be worth replacing it now.

12. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Ah. I'd been reading a thread from about a year ago where you were tinkering around with adding extra cable between the PI and the splitter and postulating that there might be some benefits in various amounts of cable. So I figured since I was standing in a pile of coax spaghetti that I'd swap the short cable that was between the PI and the wall with the much longer cable connecting my cable modem to the wall. The latter being a directv installer produced cable from an earlier receiver, so I know its the right type of cable and was decently put together.

I'm good on the cable length then, any which way. Theres about 3.5' from the sl3-swm to the splitter, then around 12-14' minimum between that and the wall plate, and about 7-8' from there to the PI.

I was thinking of trying to remove the swm-router connection entirely (where I'd lose video on demand, but dont care very much) and let the 3 receivers operate in peer-peer mode without their coax->rj45 router and my router offering up dhcp and other services, just to simplify the entire situation. Maybe next saturday when I'm laying around the house with nothing to do...

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If your PHY MESH were "worse", then I'd play with cable lengths, with changes in the 3" steps, but yours didn't show the need.
    As I've said, I'd run it the way it is for a few days to watch the session count, and see if the network naming will work correctly.
    If both do, then no need for the bridging to router to be removed.
    If they don't then try it and see.
    That network naming kind of bothers me, as:
    1) it shouldn't be doing it
    2) I've read about it before, though I don't think the user has network issues.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Your asking for a serious headache if you return an activated leased box to anywhere but DirecTv.

15. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    The dropped sessions is sitting at zero. No MRV problems for a couple of days. I noted that the 24 took a software update just a couple of days ago, after the problems, before I turned everything off and restarted them. I didnt notice what the original version was that it shipped with. I was too giddy about the speed. So maybe I had some ancient software version on them and that contributed/caused the issues.

The name seems to be fine now. Not sure if the inability of it to hold onto its name and the mrv issues were related to the older software version or my swapping names between the two boxes.

Yeah, just for kicks I checked with them and they wont take back any satellite gear after its sold. Its all manufacturer warranty. I'm glad I didnt get a dead HR24, because I'd have probably gotten another HR21 or a 22 from directv in exchange. :crying:

Hmm, speaking of which and completely off topic, I've used e-sata drives on receivers before, but usually followed the common approach of using a 5400rpm "green" AV drive and lately the WD DVR expanders. I wonder if sticking a higher performance 7200rpm drive like the caviar black on that old HR21 would speed it up at all.

I know the slow drives are more than adequate for the usual video recording/playback streams, but my performance complaints have mostly to do with slow user interface/remote response. Maybe I'll give that a whirl sometime.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You can give it a try, but a higher RPM drive will have very little if any effect on the overall system performance.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Several of us have tried A/B speed comparisons between higher rpm drives, larger cache, etc...makes virtually no difference at all. Based on that anecdotal evidence, buy the AV green drives, they run cooler and based on that will potentially last longer due to less heat output...heat kills.

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    And drives that consume more power (ie heat) also cause the fans to run more often, also consuming more power, and power supplies can be weakened if one's line voltage is marginal.

Cheers,
    Tom

19. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Still zero dropped sessions and the lowest I've seen the phy mesh scores to go is 233, most are 240-250. No MRV problems since the full power down, start one up at a time situation. So i'm calling it a fix until such time as more mrv issues come up. Thanks everyone for the help.

Couple of other questions. I have a deca router connecting the deca network to my home router. I believe that takes up one 'tuner' of the 8 I can use from the swm lnb. Can I still add a single tuner HD receiver like the H25 or do the tuners have to be singly or doubly allocated?

If I take the deca connecting one of my receivers and plug it into a switch, then plug both the receiver and my router into the switch, will that also effectively connect the deca cloud with my internet connection and allow me to remove the deca router, freeing up the tuner? Then I could install a 4th dvr or two H25's? I think that would be unsupported, but easy to un-do if I have a problem and need directv support.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Any DECA doesn't have any affect on the SWiM tuner count.
    Completely separate from each other.