1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 34-700 and the internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Old_School, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    My first genie was a HR44, that had a cable directly from my router and it feed all the other receivers with internet. Few weeks back we had a storm and the next morning the HR44 would not power up... so Directv sent out a tech to check the system and replace the HR44 only when he arrived he only had HR34's on the truck.

When the HR34 was setup the installer insisted that i needed the cable into the back of the unit and the CCK connected for all the receivers to get internet. I tried to tell him that the HR44 provided internet to all the other units with just the cable in the back and he started to tell me that the HR44 is built "much different" than the HR34 and it requires a CCK. With the cable in the back and the CCK my other wireless devices show "IP address conflict".

So my question is, am i right that i only need the connection in the back of the 34 to get internet to all receivers or do i really need the CCK and have another issue somewhere else...

Thanks in advance.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are right. the Genie (either one) can be used as a CCK or "bridge"

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    One OR the other! Unfortunately, the installer was badly informed. You were on the right track, only you can't have both active at the same time.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    May be not misinformed but a quick way to make some extra mula

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I use my HR34 as the "bridge" to the rest of the receivers. Ethernet directly into the receiver from the router. Eliminated some extra cables and things.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I use my HR34 as the "bridge" to the rest of the receivers. Ethernet directly into the receiver from the router. Eliminated some extra cables and things.

Same here. Ethernet direct to HR34. No CCK used.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If not misinformed, he was a liar, rather worse. And it's "moola"!

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    maybe that how is in English, Spanish MULA (slang)

!rolling

is not like... never mind....

1 person likes this.
  9. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Might have been a little of both... he also switched out my C41 client claiming they only work with the HR44's and i needed a C31 to work with the HR34... From what i have been reading here i know that its total bull...

anyways that for the replies everyone,

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Might have been a little of both... he also switched out my C41 client claiming they only work with the HR44's and i needed a C31 to work with the HR34... From what i have been reading here i know that its total bull...

anyways that for the replies everyone,

Yup. The C41 will work just fine with the HR34 and is actually a bit faster than the C31 (at least mine was).

- Merg

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    While what he said sounds reasonable, it's BS. C41 works fine with either Genie.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Id be sending an email to ellen on this, not so much to get him in trouble but to point out they really need to do a better job in training, especially on consistency. Someone this stubborn about all this makes me think he was actually told all this.

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If there's a monetary component that pushes for installs of CCK's..... well, need I say more?

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no sir, not much to say as you hit the nail on the head :righton:

15. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    He was the first tech to show up in probably 3-4 years that was a 3rd party installer. I thought Directv ditched all them and went with all in house techs unless they still use them for "overflow" work. Talking with the tech a bit i got the feeling that he was either new or lacked good training... He got a glimpse of my SWM16 and made a comment that they have one back at the office but, the supervisor says that they are not allowed to install them... :shrug:

I also asked him to peak the dish while he was here since we rarely have someone come out... He went into the signal menu and looked at the 101 and said "looks good"....

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    He was the first tech to show up in probably 3-4 years that was a 3rd party installer. I thought Directv ditched all them and went with all in house techs unless they still use them for "overflow" work. Talking with the tech a bit i got the feeling that he was either new or lacked good training... He got a glimpse of my SWM16 and made a comment that they have one back at the office but, the supervisor says that they are not allowed to install them... :shrug:

I also asked him to peak the dish while he was here since we rarely have someone come out... He went into the signal menu and looked at the 101 and said "looks good"....

That's the point where he gets sent on his way and you ask for someone else to come out. :lol:

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Do they really get extra pay for putting in a CCK? If so, I know an installer that insisted on using wifi on two 44s he installed a month or so ago, in spite that both accounts were charged 19.95 (plus tax) for a CCK.

In both cases, a CCK would have worked much better than wifi to the 44.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, techs get more $$$ to put in CCKs. However when installing 44s, DirecTV wants to use the built in WiFi (pay less). Not on my books! my usage for hard wired CCK to wireless is 15:1

19. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I had an HR-34 installed in February and when I recently tried to purchase a PPV movie, it would not allow the purchase via the remote. DTV said that the HR-34 had not made a call back (whatever that is) to their system since April and that was the issue. They tried a few things and still did not resolve the issue. They sent a Tech out yesterday and decided to just swap out the HR-34 with a HR-44. He could not get it to connect to my Router and suggested I call CS. I was told that I had too high of security level on my Router and the the HR-44 would not work with MAC filtering. After hanging up I tried several things myself and discovered the issue. The Tech had given me the MAC address of the new Genie to add to my router, but after disabling my MAC filtering, I could connect and it showed a completely different MAC address on the screen. So I entered that address and enabled my MAC filtering and everything works great. Glad I didn't listen to the supervisor and give up. So my guess is that the internal wireless modem in the HR-44 has it's own MAC address, just guessing as to why a different one appeared after connecting.......

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do you have an Ethernet connection near the HR44? If so, plug that into the HR44 and restart it. The HR44 will use the hardwired connection instead of its built-in wireless. Also, were you using a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) before with the HR34? If so, it should not be connected anymore if you are using the HR44's wireless connection or directly connected to the HR44 via Ethernet.

- Merg