1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 34 and CCK

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Pakratt, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Pakratt

Pakratt AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Had a fun week with CSR's. Currently out of contract and a 12 year customer. Called and asked for retention to inquire about getting a HR34. Wouldn't budge on a deal so I asked for 2 HR 24's to replace my 2 aging HR20-700's knowing that it was a roll of the dice to actually receive 2 HR 24's via Directtv. She quoted $219.70 for the 2 but quickly came down to $21.70 for shipping only. I specified that I would not accept anything but 2 brand new HR24's or I would send them back. Well, I did not luck out--got 2 HR21-100's. I called Directtv back to inquire on how to return them and during the discussion the CSR offerred me the HR34 for free, $49 to install, and $99 for the CCK. She later removed the $49 install so I got the package for $99 plus tax. I don't want the CCK so I look at it as $99 for the HR34. I tried to talk her out of the CCK but she said that she could not do that. I'm purchasing the HR24 from Solid Signal so I will end up with the HR34 and HR24 which is what I wanted to begin with. Install is this Sunday.

I do not have Whole Home nor do I want the Internet capability so my understanding is that both DVR's will act as separate units. Can I just ask the tech not to install the CCK and that will accomplish that? I do have a SWM8.

2. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    what is cck?

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Cinema Connection Kit, and you don't need it with an HR34 because there is an Ethernet port on the back that acts as a bridge with the built in DECA.

4. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I just replaced my HR20 with an HR34. Like you, it will complement my HR24. I have a 1.5TB external drive on my 24, coupled with the 1TB in the 34...I think 7 tuners and 2.5TB of storage should be enough!

5. humanjas

humanjas Cool Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm getting an HR34 tomorrow, but I already have a CCK connected to my router for the 3 other HR boxes currently in my setup. Is it better to scrap the CCK and use the HR34 or keep the CCK, or does it even matter?

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I'm still using mine, I go with "doesn't even matter".

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    To answer that, I suggest you allow the tech to install the CCK. He will not get his full pay for the install without it. This is done in order to help most people get the best possible service, and you are free to disconnect it after he leaves. It is an owned part and you can do as you wish with it after he goes.

8. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    It's going to be easier for him to setup with you not changing anything. But as Stuart says, you can feel free to mess with it after he leaves.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Go with the CCK. Every time you reboot the HR34 if you're going through it that network connection goes down. With a CCK you don't have to worry about that.

10. Pakratt

Pakratt AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I had my HR34 installed today. Tech was great. Even exchanged my other HR20 with a new HR24. I told him that I did not want Whole Home or the CCK installed (My Preference). He was fine with that if that was what I wanted. Now I have a new HR24 coming from Solid Signal so will have to check on cost of returning it. I forgot to mention before that when I ordered the HR34 I also inquired about the no charge for HD and got it extended for 1 year. Happy camper here.

11. SolidSignal

SolidSignal Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    It's very important you contact us quickly so we can get that taken care of. DIRECTV limits our ability to take back activated receivers.

12. heisman6183

heisman6183 AllStar

Jun 4, 2008
    Are there any magic words to get an HR34? I'm having my H21 upgraded to an HD DVR (no idea what model the tech will have). I accepted the upgrade and the contract extension to get Sunday Ticket Max and I asked about the HR34 and they said no dice, wouldn't even give me a price if I wanted to pay for it. I'm not interested in the full $400 but it sounds like a lot of people are getting a deal on it. I've called a couple times and get the same response. I've been a customer since 2008 and have been out of contract since 2010, until I get my new HD DVR.

13. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    I called last week and simply asked, "when does my contract end?". My next question was gong to be, how much will it cost me to cancel my remaining months. The conversation didn't get past the first question, however.

The CSR asked me, very diplomatically, why I was asking about my contract expiration and I laid out why I was going to switch to DISH to get the more advanced equipment for my multi-room installation. He offered me the HR-34 with installation for $199 plus a $20 per month credit for the next six months, and suggested I keep the existing three DVRs so I would have "plenty of recording time". I didn't have to ask for anything. This was the deal he volunteered.

The install was last Saturday, and now I'm trying to figure out how to utilize 11 tuners in a household with two people :eek2:.

14. Pakratt

Pakratt AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    If you are not happy with the model HDDVR that you receive and have not activated it, you could try calling retention and ask for instructions on sending it back and then use that opportunity to say that what you really would like to have is the HR34 and see what you can do. Good Luck.

15. Pakratt

Pakratt AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Thanks for the info Solid Signal. The HR24 that I will have would still be unopened in the original box. I have E-Mailed for info on how to return. Won't even receive the HR24 until 8/29.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Hah! Remember when Bill Gates opined that 256K of RAM* was plenty??
    :D

But that's what I am going for.... I am through trying to see a difference between my OTA networks and the DIRECTV® feed.

* It may not have been RAM, and the number may well have been different, but most will get the point. (I expect an immediate correcting jibe!)

17. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    I *think* what you should have done was refuse delivery from the installer (assuming he/she brought the units and they weren't shipped to you). Then you could have rescheduled and perhaps rec'd. the HR24s. Usually the installer's are helpful in this regard and can indicate the possibility of getting certain equipment.

Of course...woulda coulda shoulda...oh well.

18. Pakratt

Pakratt AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    My order for the HR24's were delivered by UPS. Left on the porch so did not have opportunity to refuse. Understand your comment though....