1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 34 flushes buffer overnight

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Podkayne, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I've had the HR 34 Genie for about a month and love it so far, with the exception of one quirk. When we turn it on after it's been off overnight it comes up "live" on the channel we left it on, with no trailing buffer. Our HR 20 would trail a 90 minute buffer even after we turned it off. I've turned off power saving, tried leaving it on always, no joy. Is this a characteristic of this DVR, or am I overlooking something?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, this is something that's known about the Genie/HR34. At one point it used to flush the buffer with great regularity, but now it only seems to do it after several hours of inactivity.

One theory suggests it has to do with energy savings, not buffering while no one is watching.

With 5 available tuners, the easy workaround is to set a manual recording for the 5 channels you are likely to watch, starting 90 minutes before you wake up and ending after you are likely to go to work. Set it to keep only 1 recording, and it won't clog your hard drive.

3. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks, Stuart, there is only one "home channel" we would like to keep a buffer for, so your suggested workaround will be fine. The shows we're most interested in start at 5pm and 6pm, so I just set up Series Links to record them, and we've got a built in buffer for the evening.

The only other quirk we're experiencing is that trickplay on our connected HR 20 requires a bit of getting used to a short but significant delay from key press to response, but the issue is minor and is a small price to pay to have a unified playlist from 3 TB of storage!

4. mrjacobrussell

mrjacobrussell New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Oregon