1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR-34 has shut down & rebooted 3x in 24 hrs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by weadjust, Apr 27, 2013.

1. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    I have had my HR-34 for about 8 months with no problems. Starting yesterday morning the HR-34 has shut down and rebooted 3 times in 24 hrs. Twice over night on Thur. and Fri. night and once Fri. evening around 8:00 PM while the Mrs. was watching TV. The only change to my system is I had an HR-22 fail and I received and activated the replacement on Thur. afternoon. The HR-34 random reboots have started since the HR-22 was activated. The HR-34 shows its running 06x7e downloaded on 3/19. Any advice? Wait and see if it continues?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you have it plugged into a UPS ?
    I had lots of random reboots last year on 3 systems. They would not all do it together but they did all shut down and restart.
    After plugging them into a UPS all those problems totally disappeared.

3. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    The HR-34 is plugged into a surge protector with no UPS. I find it odd that the problem started at the same time a replacement HR-22 was activated. Signal strenghts are in the 90s just to add some info. Thoughts?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I find it odd" to see any correlation [or way] that the two have any affect on each other.

5. pjschwartz

pjschwartz AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    I had 2 reboots on my HR 34 . . . once overnight Thursday and once Friday midday . . .

6. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    Has it happened before pjschwartz? My reboots were overnight Thur. night, Fri. eve. and Fri. overnight. I would like to at least rule out that the HR-34 reboots don't have anything to do with the HR-22 activation. I don't see how the new HR-22 activation would have any effect on the HR-34. Just with the timing of the events it is a variable. I'm in a holding pattern for now. The Mrs. said if she misses her recordings or it reboots again during prime time she's going to be pissed.

7. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Mine rebooted this morning.

8. Graygeek

Graygeek New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Same here.

9. suptrad

suptrad Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    mine rebooted both Thursday and Friday nights

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run a system test and see what it comes back with? Perhaps guide data issues…..

11. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    Looks like I'm not the only one. I'll monitor the situation. Thanks for the input and DBS for the forum.

12. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Mine rebooted Thursday morning and updated to 0x06be from 0x067E on its own and Friday afternoon around 1pm receiver restarted

13. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    Rebooted twice since yesterday. Once due to brief power outage caused by a thunderstorm around 6:00 AM and rebooted again around 10:00 AM with no power interuption or weather related issues. Ran a system test and the only info is the HR-34 is not connected to a phone line which is expected and correct.

14. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Many people have reported these reboots. I assume DirecTV is triggering them for some reason.

15. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    As I said in another thread you should report this to Directv directly, either tech support or any department that's in charge of reporting it to the engineers.

16. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    For the time being I would unplug receiver for several minutes than plug back in, and once you have picture try the menu reset to flush the guide data and wait up to 48 hours when the guide can repopulate.

17. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    After one of the reboots I got updated channel logos for the recently added HD channels such as Food Network

18. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    So that was probably the reason.