1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-34 Low volume output over HDMI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nc88keyz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Legend

Aug 12, 2007
    I hope i dont get flamed for this thread. I looked through similar threads but didnt recall anything recent

But i have the following connected to Denon 4311ci

HR34 ***
    HR24
    HR22
    HR20

The HR34 audio output has to be at -20db compared to all other 7 hdmi inputs at -32db. significant level difference in volume.

Before anyone asks ive checked the denon digital audio gain levels over hdmi. they are all set equal.

Am I imagining this issue, or has it come up recently with the HR34, on national release firmware.???

I dont know if a microproccesor reset is in order for the Denon or the a reset for the HR34. any help appreciated.

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    20 dB is a really large increase in volume. 10 db is a doubling of volume. A 20 dB difference is going from an office to a symphony orchestra playing at full volume, or from a residential street to one downtown with traffic. Are you sure it's a 20 dB difference?

And don't believe numbers on volume controls. They lie.

That said, I have experienced lower volume from my HR34 than other pieces. I haven't put a number on it. My gut says 6-8 dB, which is what I'd call a significant volume differnce. It's very noticeable.

I'll play around and let you know.

EDIT: You have all four of those DVRS hooked into your Denon through HDMI? I want to make sure that's the case. Plus they are all set on Dolby Digital, I'd assume?

3. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Legend

Aug 12, 2007
    at first I told my wife she was hearing things. or "not" hear things, in my implication it was the HR34 volume.

Anyways, that didnt go so well. so i began to check different settings.

Turns out I found the issue.

After double making sure linked volume was not chaning from input to input, i noticed that when i was switching inputs on the Denon display. Dyn + 3 +4 or something was showing up.

Culprit: Denon/ AVR Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, (Day Midnight Evening)

Once i turned it off on three of the other inputs they were all virtually identical. I raised the gain just a little ( my preference) on the digital signal input to +5 and they are all equal accross all four inputs.

I feel like a bit of an idiot since I am an audio/videophile in the worst way.

Hopefully someone else will learn from my follies.

I will be sure to edit title to SOLVED!

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Don't feel bad. Happens to us all. I once auditioned a system for an evening just to find out it was in mono.

Glad you solved the problem.