1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 34/New router

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by akw4572, Jun 11, 2013.

1. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    I currently have an HR 34 that is hardwired via connection kit to my wireless router. I'm going to be installing a new router in the next couple of days. Will I just go to Menu/Settings/Network Setup/Repeat Network Setup? Will it automatically recognize the new network, and ask me for the SSID password? I knew I should have watched the tech set it up the first time. After I connect it, will the genies auto recognized and be connected? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you use the same SSID and password as the old router, everything should "just work" without any other configuration changes.

3. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Since I'm changing manufacturers on the router, it'll be a different SSID. I just use the default (i.e. belkn.ebf.....etc.)

4. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    Assuming it is a new router, you should be able to use the WPS button on the ICK and the router to establish the connection.

5. hdwannabee

hdwannabee Cool Member

Jul 15, 2008
    If it is hard wired via an Ethernet connection, it won't matter what your SSID is. SSID comes into play when you connect wirelessly.

6. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Even if it's wired to the wireless router, that is connected to the cable modem?

7. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    HR34 doesn't require the CCK. You can run an ethernet connection straight to the back of it. After getting a new router I would restore network defaults, then use "Connect Now" or "Repeat Network Setup", whichever is available.

8. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    SSID is the name of your wireless network. If you are hardwired, you're not accessing the wireless network.

1 person likes this.
  9. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Never thought of that. So no password. Great, thanks.