1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 34 problems with channels showing up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jtrippe77, Jul 30, 2014.

1. jtrippe77

jtrippe77 Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    We have an HR 34 with one client. After watching TV for the night I turn off my amp and TV but not the HR 34. Lately, when going to watch TV the next morning the box seems messed up. First, the screen is black as in no programming is showing. Next, the guide comes up but not at the channel or even channel range we left it at the night before. Then, it won't let you select another channel to watch. This issue is only resolved after resetting the receiver. Anyone know a fix to this? This problem is recent and seems to center around us watching baseball. We have Sports Pac and Extra Innings. I watch Orioles games on MASN and MASN 2 rather than the EI channels. I turn the TV off at night after the games. Could the problem be the channels we are leaving it on? We'll try leaving on a common channel like TV Land tonight and see if it makes a difference. However, I wanted to see if anyone has faced similar issues and how they fixed it. Thanks in advance!

2. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Why do you leave the HR34 on all the time? There is, or was, a screen saver that comes on if the unit is on the same channel for an extended time. Don't know if it is still in the software now. But there is no reason to leave it on all the time, your just wasting electricity.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no electricity is being wasted as the all DVRs consume just about the same whether on or off.

To the TS, I would try leaving the genie on a regular channel and see if you have different results

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    A tiny bit of juice is used when "on" vs. "off", but the real question remains: Why leave it on at all, especially if this may contribute to a problem? And Peds' idea is a good one: switch to a 24/7 channel on retiring. Or set up a Series Link to record such a channel- keeping but one episode- starting an hour or so before you turn it on the next day.

Good luck!

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check this:
    Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Power Saving

If it is set to ON, turn it to OFF and see what happens.

6. jtrippe77

jtrippe77 Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    I will try all of your suggestions and get back to you with the results tomorrow. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

7. jtrippe77

jtrippe77 Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    I left the TV on MLB network last night and turned on the TV this morning and went to the guide and changed channels and everything worked perfectly. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk