1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR-34 to HR-44 contract is up....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KoRn, Jul 10, 2014.

1. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Not sure if its worth it or not to upgrade. I know the HR-44 has been out for a while now. Sure as a world. I sign the new contract and a new box will come out. Happened to us with the HR-34. Shortly after the HR-44 came out. Any rumblings about a new box coming out soon?

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    So far, no rumors here.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    We'll probably see a replacement for the HR24 before we see a new Genie.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And since DirecTV doesn't consider it an upgrade, I don't think they'd give you a free 44. Upgrades are between classes.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, you can't "upgrade" from one Genie to another. So even if another Genie model was released, you would probably not be able to upgrade to it.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    After eight years, I'd bet they've pretty much wrung everything they could out of the HR2x family in terms of cost reduction and power efficiency.

The future lies in the Genie line and we should start seeing how that shakes out in a couple weeks.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    We (DirecTV customers) will certainly see how things shake out...but not sure how someone using another service could actually "see" anything directly...other than reading news clippings and press releases...

1 person likes this.
  8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I believe they will come out with a model that has more tuners. Dish is currently advertising a Hopper and Super Joey combination that has 8 tuners.
    The info about the Super joey is in the small print on the ad and not actually mentioned. I had to pause the picture so I could read it.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    But as we all know it's not really eight tuners. ;)

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Oh? Did they announce some new new box announcement for two weeks from now that I missed?

11. underlord2

underlord2 AllStar

Dec 1, 2006
    Yes, but the general public won't see that. Directv might as well up the tuners :up: (even though I never max out my tuners on my genie box xD)

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Mike White has repeatedly mentioned a new lower-cost DVR in public speeches. Given that my money is on the next generation HR2x DVR and not the Genie.

13. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    I have the protection plan and thought I would be able to upgrade. Hmmm. My online account says I am eligible for a new equipment upgrade on July 20th.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You probably will be able to but may have to get creative like buy a HR44 on Solid Signal and then call DirecTV to cancel the HR34 and add the HR44. Then see about getting credited back for the cost. Its possible you wont have to go that route but the problem is they dont define which Genie you will get when upgrading and they dont allow more than 1 active on the account so it would be a hassle to go through DirecTV to get it done.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've been wondering if they might bring something similar to their "Lego" architecture that they have in the Latin America market.

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They announced that they were going to install only HD capable equipment from July 24th forward. If it turns out that it is all Genie equipment, that will tell us all where the HR2x series is headed.

17. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Will a new receiver be required to support 4K? I would assume so. That can't be too far in the future given the ramp up of the TVs now at more affordable prices and the fact that DirecTV has always been considered a technology leader.

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Mike White said DirecTV would wade into 4K slowly and only come into the market when there was enough demand.

19. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    That's a huge jump that isn't needed to be made right now. They already want everyone on genie equipment. It won't be required of all new customers,otherwise they'd be forcing everyone to DVRs too. And that's not happening.

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As I said, we'll see in less than two weeks what they're going to do with new DVR customers. They're already making DVR customers pay the Advanced Receiver Fee whether or not the get a Genie.

The fact that all of the default options are Genie options is telling. You have to opt for something other than a Genie to be given a peek at the other options.