1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR-34 with external E-sata drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Beckzilla, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    OK, I had a HR-24 hooked with an external esata drive and then purchased a HR-34. I accidentally hooked up the external to my new HR-34 when I fired it up. Now I cannot read any of the many recordings I had from the HR-24. Did I just screw myself on the recordings that were on the external or?

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    How does that happen? You prob should have read up on what would happen before you tried that.

3. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    It's the human element.

4. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    All recordings are encrypted to a special chip on the receiver main board, and may be played ONLY on the receiver that recorded the files

Moving a drive to a different receiver, with a different encryption chip, is a BAD idea... unless you know in advance that the old recordings are no longer needed

5. D1vad

D1vad Cool Member

Nov 13, 2012
    So if they are encrypted to a special chip, then in theory moving the drive back to the original receiver should allow them to be decrypted once again, unless directv has decided this is an attempt to pirate the recordings... :mad:

6. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...

As long as you did not reformat the drive once hooked to the new HR34, you will be able to just rehook the drive back the the origional HR24 and everything should be back to normal giving you the ability to replay anything origionally recorded from that DVR.

Again, current DirecTV policy is to only allow the playback of recordings on the DVR that origionally recorded them. Until their policy changes and a corresponding firmware update is made this will remain the case.

The problem truely falls on that when a DVR just fails/dies, there is no way to recover any of the recordings at all. It should be tied to the account, NOT a particular receiver!

Several requests to do away with this policy have constantly been made over the past few years; falling on deaf ears thus far.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As was said above, unless the HR34 reformatted the drive when you connected it up, moving it back to the HR24 will allow you to play all the recordings just fine.

8. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    Well switched it back to the HR-24 and all recordings are gone. What would make the new HR-34 automatically reformat the drive. Looks like I am screwed.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    With the HR34 having "Genie Recommends" the partitioning is most likely different than an HR24 so the HR34 had the need to re-partition.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yup, looks like you "accidentally" screwed yourself.