1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 44 and Whole Home Function

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pappasbike, Jul 9, 2014.

1. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I just had a new one installed to replace my 34. Finally got tired of the ongoing video freezes. Anyway the tech mentioned that by using an ethernet cable to connect to my router the whole home connection to the other receiver, an HR 22, may occasionally drop out. I was using the cable to connect the 34 to the router. The dvr is right next to the router and I have no clients so I didn't bother with the wireless setup. He said the issue would be much less likely if I just had the 44 join my wifi network. Has anyone had any problems with the whole home connection when using a direct connection to the router?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Direct connection is fine.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Ethernet is usually better than the best Wi-fi.

If DECA is breaking down, how the Genie is connected to the router doesn't seem like it would enter into it. I suspect that the tech was grasping at straws.

4. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks. I couldn't see a reason why there'd be an issue. Maybe he's seen issues with clients. Either way he only said that I might see a problem and if so to set it for wifi. I'm not expecting to see a problem though.