1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 44 Genie Locks up!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bofurley, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Is any one having a problem with the HR 44 locking up?
    This has happened three times with me, Twice this morning and One other time last week.
    The first time it happened to me today, it just locked up, I tried to get it to work, but it would not, then suddenly it started to work.
    The second time today, when I turned t on, it was locked up, I tried to turn it off, from the receiver as well as from the remote with no success. It finally rebooted and everything seemed to be working.
    The caller ID is getting the unavailable message even when the caller ID is turned off.
    On the phone with tech support for about half hour and was finally told they were aware of the problem and they are working on it.
    The caller ID has been acting up since the second day it was installed.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It could be an issue with corrupted Guide Data. Try flushing the Guide Data. Perform a menu reset and as soon as the receiver boots back up perform another menu reset. This will flush the Guide Data and redownload it. After the second reset, you will have about 48 hours of Guide Data and the rest will download over the next 24 hours.

With regard to the Caller ID issue, try turning off Caller ID and then turning it back on.

- Merg

3. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Re caller ID, I have tried the turning off the caller and then turning it back on. Actually it will work even when it is turned off!
    I was told by tech support that DTv is aware of these problems.
    Thanks for your reply

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No problem. Let us know if the issues get resolved.

- Merg

5. Dec 1, 2014 #5 of 10
    jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I am having the same issue. I woke up Sunday morning it was dead. I did a red button reset and it came back to life. Then later in the day again dead. Reset it again. Now the crazy part I lost most of the recorded programs from the external drive. The series manager has all the shows set to record but I lost 35% of the programing I had recorded any ideas?

6. Dec 1, 2014 #6 of 10
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

7. Dec 1, 2014 #7 of 10
    WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    off chance -did you have electric power failure? possible cause.

8. Dec 1, 2014 #8 of 10
    jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    No power failure, I will try the self test.

9. Dec 2, 2014 #9 of 10
    jrangel

jrangel New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    When I run the test is says gets the model and serial # and the smart short test passed. All programming that was missing is back. Thanks!

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Timely!

Is there a report generated out of the Surface test, and how could I access it?