1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR series volume question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tuquala, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Tuquala

Tuquala Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Is there any way that the audio out on the HR series DVRs can be controlled by the DVR?? I am specifically asking about the L & R rca connectors. I know that it is usually linked to the TV volume on the remotes.

I'm expecting all answers to be no, it is a fixed line level, but it doesn't hurt to ask!!

Thanks,

Gerry

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, they're fixed level.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It doesn't. But I think vendors are wont to do that because it would make their phones ring. There would be a lot of cockpit errors where the volume is down on the DVR and either then missing or too low at the AVR/TV. They may also want to avoid a litigation situation from someone who adjusted their AVR audio to compensate for the DVR being turned mostly down, and then blew their eardrums out when they changed sources. Two volume adjustment points in any audio chain is one too many anyway.

4. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Just curious... Why would you want that?

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Old tv without a remote control or lost tv remote could be a vaild reason, but not enough I would want them to accommodate that rare situation

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I use a 22" monitor in my bedroom (HDMI to DVI cable). The monitor has built-in speakers with volume control, but because it's a monitor, no external volume control (has to be accessed through the menu, and no I/R port/remote).

To combat this, I use a stereo with an AUX input.
    DirecTV mode controls the receiver, AV1 controls the stereo volume.
    When the receiver goes into standby it puts the monitor into standby (no signal).

One thing to note about this setup is there has to be *some* code programmed in TV mode, doesn't matter what TV code is used so long as SOMETHING is there, and then change the volume lock on the remote from TV to AV1
    (Put remote in AV1, MUTE+Select, 993, Select, Slide back to DTV, I believe is the sequence)

7. Tuquala

Tuquala Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    "Why would you want to do this?"

The new 55" flat panel has LOUSY sound. I seems like the TV is culprit. Hollow, tinny, sort of like out of phase sound. All inputs are that way. My wife is hard of hearing, and hates the sound, and is also very equip knowledge lacking!! I have used various powered speakers to compare sound, running off of the variable audio output of the TV. Much better, but not as good as the surround system. BUT, I don't want to use surround all the time to just watch TV, and the wife is only going to complain about too many steps to accomplish that!!

I was just wishing that I could run the powered speakers directly off the DVR and have volume control. I pretty much knew I was asking too much in this day and age!!

8. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I'll say it before someone else does. Nothing improves the WAF of a HDTV/AVR system like a good universal remote (Harmony or the like). Just sayin' :D

9. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    I'll second that. The remotes are named Harmony for a reason... :D

10. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Even a bad universal remote can do all those steps for you, so you never have to use the tv speakers again.

11. Tuquala

Tuquala Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Totally agree with you all on univ remotes. BUT, she can't even operate a Harmony without problems!!

Thanks all!!

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I would definetly recommend that you purchase a stereo system with an aux input (Plenty of decent cheap ones). Doesn't have to be surround sound. My little Panasonic in my bedroom (which was bought at wal-mart about 4 years ago) works great. I leave it ON, and in AUX mode.
    I programmed the remote to control Stereo in AV1 mode, then changed the volume lock to AV1. The codes for my Panasonic were in DirecTVs remote program book, as well as the process to change the volume lock.

When you/your wife turn the TV on, you can hit volume up/down without sliding the switch and it will control the volume on the stereo.