1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10-250 and Green Screen of Death

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n6nfg, Oct 6, 2008.

1. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    My HR10-250 recently began lots of stuttering and delayed response to remote commands, followed in later days by getting stuck and rebooting. This kept getting worse and more frequent and now upon rebooting it gets stuck on a green screen that indicates some form of serious error has occured and to make sure it is connected to a phone line and don't touch it for at least 3 hours. Pulling the plug for a few days and trying again gets the same response immediatly, so this is not an overheat problem.

Sounds like the disk probably reached its MTBF :(

Can anyone confirm that this green screen is probably from a bad disk?

If the disk is this bad (won't even complete a reboot) is there any hope of removing it and using it to try and reconstruct a new one from?

Anyone interested in a HR10 for parts :rolleyes:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes. The "green screen" is Tivo's hard drive repair utility. If it can't recover itself, then don't try using that hard drive anywhere else. Of course, it's easy to get a replacement/upgraded hard drive if you want to fix it.

3. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    Considering its age (I paid $999 for it, so this should tell you how long ago!) I'll at least pull the case apart and check for loose/dirty connectors before writing it off. Maybe try the disk manufacturer repair diagnostics also. Could be just a few really important sectors that can be re-mapped.

What is the conventional way of putting a new disk in a old unit without the original image to create the new disk from?? Not looking to do any fancy hacking or anything. Is there a repository of disk images that are legal to access?

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I would head over to www.tivocommunity.com .

There are alot of threads w/ the info you need to install and prepare the drive. You can still buy one ready to go from weakknees i beleive.

5. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    You know, I totally forgot about tivocommunity. Good advice. Thanks