1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR10-250 connection question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mjferguson, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    I have 2 questions:

1. I have my unit setup and have no phone line (used neighbors). If I unplug the unit do I need a phone line again or not?

2. What is the "best" connection for the unit. I have Sony Wega LCD tv with DVI. I am using the HDMI to DVI cable for the connection. Are the any opinions as to what is better, this setup or component or ???

2. dewalt

dewalt Cool Member

Jan 23, 2006
    1. You do not need a phone line again. Although, you will receive a nag message telling you to make the call. I think mine says that I havent made a call in 200 days.

2. The connection seems to depend on the TV. I've heard reports that people get a better signal via components instead of HDMI/DVI. I suggest you just try it out and see which is better.

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I have had two Sony Wega LCD's (60 inch - one got stolen) and on both I used HDMI out of the HR10-250 into HDMI inputs on the Wega. Does your TV not have HDMI inputs? I currently have two HR10-250's connected via HDMI to my TV (set has two HDMI inputs).

I am not familiar with entire Wega line and realize this may not be helpful to you, but I was just curious about whether your Wega doesn't actually have HDMI inputs.

4. mikehoff99

mikehoff99 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2006
    One thing you need keep in mind is.....
    HDMI will carry both video and sound.if you are going to use the tv for a sound source...then use the HDMI.
    DVI will only carry picture.
    If you are using a stereo receiver for sound...then all you need is the cable that will convert from HDMI to DVI, and Use optical for sound..if this is an option.
    I have a HR10-250 and i use the DVI connection on my tv. This eliminates the need
    to either...
    1. use 2 remotes to raise/lower volume.(1 for tv volume+1 for stereo receiver)
    2. have to switch between devices on my universal remote to raise/lower volume.
    hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.