1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hr10-250 in 720

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ernie18, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ernie18

ernie18 New Member

Nov 27, 2008
    First let me say happy thanks giving and I think this is a wonderful board..

I did a little research and cant seem to find my problem.

I ordered directtv a little over a month ago, I have the standard tv box and I have the R22-100 in my living room for my DVR. I believe I have a 1 LNB dish it just has the single sat receiver.

I just purchased a 47 inch 1080 lcd tv from best last friday.So I had someone (nicely) give me a HR10-250 receiver. So I had to purchase the new access card etc etc. Well I call directtv to get the HD service going, well the HR10-250 box says its in 720p. and they say it should be working. I of course dont think so, it doesn't look like HD to me. I don't let them start charging me for all the fees it would take to get a service guy out here.

I figure I would come to you guys first! But I believe I need the 5 lnb for the HD service. Or could it be something else?

Could I just buy one from ebay and be set to go? What setup would it consist of?

Happy turkey day:hi:

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The HR10-250 will not support most of the HD channels on DIRECTV including any 1080p content.

You need to get one of the newer models (HR20, HR21, HR22 or HR23) if you want to get all of the HD channels from DIRECTV. The HR10-250 is the old TiVo model which stopped production some number of years ago.

3. ernie18

ernie18 New Member

Nov 27, 2008

which one is HD DVR?

4. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    What Doug said, pluse I would not recommend buying an HRXX from e-bay. These are all units leased from DirecTV and you could wind up paying someone on eBay your money and wind up with a unit you can't use.

I'd call DirecTV and have them come and install the new dish (if you haven't done so already) and swap out your R22 for an HR series unit so you can get al the HD.

Happy Thanksgiving.

5. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Any of the ones with an "R" in the model name stands for "Recording", so the HR models are the HD-DVR's...

J

6. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would also call D* and see if they can cut you a deal on a HD-DVR, or you could always pick one up from Best Buy (that way you avoid shipping charges and can actually see which one you get). Costco also has D* receivers a little less than BB. Hope this helps!

J

7. ernie18

ernie18 New Member

Nov 27, 2008

I knew posting on this board was a great idea. thanks guys!

8. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The HR10-250 will play the MPG2 channels that D* broadcasts and if you have an off air antenna, you could record and watch your local HD channels. The D* MPG2 channels are located starting at channel 70 and run through 99.

You don't need a 5 LNB dish to view those channels but you may need the 3 LNB dish. If all you have is the 1 LNB dish, the only HD channels you may be able to record would be your locals from an antenna.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The HR10-250 is an HD DVR, but it will essentially only play over the air in HD. There are a very small number of channels in the 70s that are still in HD, but that will not last much longer. The over the air HD should continue to work with no problem.

Also, the HR10-250 is a good SD-only receiver due to the larger HDD. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p as far as I know .. only 1080i or 720p.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

All receivers with a model number starting with "H" are HD receivers.

e.g. H20, HR21, HR23, etc.

If it starts with a "D" or an "R" it's likely a SD receiver.

Mike

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Things become very confusing when we confuse display resolution with broadcast resolution. They are really two different things.

Broadcast resolution is the resolution that programs are broadcast in. 1080i and 720p are HD broadcast resolutions (with 480i being an SD resolution). 1080p is a rare broadcast rez (about the only place using it is the NFL network channel) and an emerging download rez. But this is 1080p24, which is not really an improvement over 720p or 1080i. 1080p60 is a broadcast rez that has yet to be implemented, and does have measurable improvement over 720p or 1080i, just not a very significant improvement.

Display resolution is the resolution that your display is fixed in, referred to as its native resolution. Your 1080 TV has a native rez of 1080p. All sets also have a method of rescaling from the broadcast resolution to the native resolution. IOW, for its OTA tuner, your TV can take either 720p or 1080i HD (or 480i SD) and display it as 1080p. In fact, your TV always displays everything as 1080p and is incapable of displaying in other resolutions (but is capable of converting any resolution to 1080p). 1080p as a display rez is also very different from 1080p as a broadcast rez. 1080p broadcast implies certain benefits that 1080p as a display rez does not. 480p is typically limited to being a display resolution (and an SD one at that) and is usually not used except in some DVD players.

When you add a DVR, it gets a little more complicated by adding yet another potential layer of rescaling. The HR10 has the capability of fixing its output resolution to 1080i or 720p, regardless of what broadcast resolution is being recorded, so that it can best match your TV. You should probably set the output resolution to "1080" to make it work the best for your set.

The HR10 is a perfectly good DVR for OTA HD, and it currently gets HD channels in the 70's as well (expect that to cease as early as mid January). To get the additional 130 HD channels that DTV claims to offer, you need two things, the 5LNB (or 3LNB) KaKu antenna, such as the Slimline, and a DVR capable of MPEG-4 reception, such as the HR2x. You can add the HR10 to this mix as well (it is backward compatible), and continue to use it for OTA HD and SD from sat.

The HR2x also has a couple of additional output rez settings and the capability for download on demand.