1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR10-250 New Instant Cake and WD 1TB Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by evhfan, Nov 1, 2013.

1. evhfan

evhfan New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Portland,...
    Last week one of my HR10-250's died. HD was clicking loudly with a black screen, no functions worked. Figured it is the HD so I purchased a 1TB Western Digital SATA drive with a bridge board adaptor to for the SATA to IDE conversion to work the HR10-250 IDE motherboard.

Downloaded Instant Cake from DVRUpgrade for my specific machine, imaged the ISO to the CD and burned it onto the new drive following all DVRUpgrade instructions. Upon installing it I was able to to get the blue DirecTv logo screen where it acquires the satellite info. Got stuck at 31% for over a half hour so I rebooted and tried again. This time only made it to the red DirecTv logo screen before it froze. I took a couple steps back and decided to start from scratch. Burned the Instant Cake image again onto a new cd, imaged the drive and installed. Now I only get the "Welcome, powering up" that comes from the motherboard.

Any ideas on what else could be wrong besides my new drive?

Dean

2. evhfan

evhfan New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Portland,...
    Seriously, 442 views and no one has any ideas?

Dean

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Unfortunately, it's outdated hardware not many here use anymore.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would call DTV and tell them about your problem and see won't they upgrade your receivers.
    I wouldn't spend any money on the ones you have.

5. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If I had to guess, your new 1TB drive is Advanced Format (4k sector) and the old Tivo doesn't like it.

I would probably try some experimenting with older drives that are stil 512-byte sector, and maybe some different SATA-IDE bridge boards.

Keith

6. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    Call Directv and get them to upgrade your receiver, if you're a customer in good standing that shouldn't be a problem.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  8. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    I have an hr10-250 sitting under my entertainment center if you are interested

9. evhfan

evhfan New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Portland,...
    Sent you a PM.

Dean