1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10-250 Program Extraction

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Blitz68, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Hello all. Been a D* customer for 11 years.

I recorded the Steelers (Go Steelers):D Super Bowl on my HR10-250 and want to get it to DVD. Is it possible to move it to DVD without a DVD recorder...meaning is there a service out there that can copy it to a DVD?

By the way I have been reading these forums for a long time and I love the info you guys have.

2. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    You can hack the HR10 to extract shows to your PC and then burn to DVD after some conversions. This does involve pulling your HR10 HD, putting it in a PC and running some Linux scripts/installing programs. Are you technically up to that?

If not, do you have any method of capturing the video from the S-video or composite output of the HR10 to a PC for later burning?

If not, you may be able to find a local video/dvd conversion service but that would involve taking your HR10 there so they can capture the video.

3. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    I would like to capture the DD 5.1 and also HD if possible. I have a video capture that does 16:9 but with the S Video or Yellow RCA and the audio comes in the Red & White RCA's. I have a mint copy of the SB and would like to archive it. Probably should wait until HD DVD I guess huh?

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    BTW, the only way to get the video in HD is by using component or better connections, s-video and composite are only capable of 480i

5. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    This is kind of on the same lines but is there a program (fully freeware) that will convert HD to SD (and the reverse would be nice too). I have some HD content that I captured but only have the ablitiy to burn SD disks. It would be nice to convert the HD content into widscreen or LB to use on a SD DVD player.

6. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    I hate bumping posts, but does anyone know or have anywhere to point me too?

7. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
  8. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
  9. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Thanks hopefully I can get somewhere on this. Mine is captured via a capture card, but I'm sure one of the programs they use must convert HD AVI/MPEG-2/MPEG-4 to something that can be played on a DVD. Thanks for the links guys.

10. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    I am looking to image my HR10-250 drive in case of problems. Do you think it is possible to take an image via True Image and put it on another drive and use that one as the drive I am going to work with? There imaging software is amazing.

11. JoelCFC25

JoelCFC25 Cool Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I would use a Linux boot CD and use dd to make a byte-for-byte copy of the original drive onto a new blank drive.

On the Tivo Community forums I read that if you boot into Windows with a Tivo hard drive connected, it'll get corrupted.

12. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Do not boot Windows with your Tivo drive in it. It will no longer boot in your Tivo. I'm not familiar with True Image but if it's DOS/Linux based and boots from CD and does a bit copy of the drive you should be fine. If it depends on "seeing" the partitions it will probably not work. Tivo drives have proprietary partition types of which DOS/Windows does not recognize.

13. Equus911

Equus911 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2005
    You can also enable your USB ports, use a USB to ethernet adapter to download your shows, reframe them, and burn to DVD. I haven't actually done this yet but my friend does it all the time. The HR10 he gave me he had enabled the USB ports on so I don't know what's involved in that.

14. mechman

mechman Legend

Apr 29, 2006
    Interesting! Can you point me at a link to this? I'm close to finishing my home theater in the basement and added an HR10-250 recently. I used dishrip all the time back in the Echostar days. This will probably be a bit slower, but much easier than pulling the hard drive all the time...

mechman

*Edit* Disregard - I found it throught the above links

15. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    How do you do this without connecting your HardDrive to your pc?

16. mechman

mechman Legend

Apr 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.