1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10-250 to be Replaced, Likely Reciever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mika911, Sep 18, 2011.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I still had a HR10-250 connected up I used for SD in a bedroom.

However, it completely went out today.

DirecTV is going to replace it with a leased (I had owned mine) HD DVR refurbished unit for $20.

However, I would like 3D capability now too.

Am I likely to get a HR20 that doesn't do 3D? Should I cancel the swap and just replace the receiver myself with a HR24 from Weak Knees?

I'm a bit worried still having a HR10 they think I have an antenna and would then need a HR20 for OTA.

However, do they really still have HR20s around to send out?

2. r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    If you were asked "Do you use an OTA antenna with this receiver and you answered no, then you might get an HR21, HR22 or HR 23. If you answered yes, then an HR20 is what you will receive. Ask to be sent to the Access Card Distribution Team as the replacement will be owned if you originally became a customer in 2006. There are special rules about owned vs leased on a replacement. On an upgrade it's going to be leased no matter what. :lol:

3. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    They didn't ask me about OTA locals.

The only thing it says on the email confirmation is:

"DIRECTV PlusĀ® HD DVR"

I'm not too worried about it being called leased to be honest. I'll be more annoyed if I get a HR20 and have no 3D capability. ha-ha. It's amazing they still have HR20s lying around, even refurbished units.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They are actually fairly popular.

5. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Should I cancel the order then you think?

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If they are mailing it, just look on the box when it gets there. If its not one you want, send it back. Cost you a couple bucks for return shipping. If its a HR24, you won.

7. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thanks. I guess I'll try this. Yeah, I know they might be slower, but I could probably live with HR21 and above. Just anything that had 3D.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The speed is supposed to greatly increase with the new GUI, but I personally would hope for something other than a 21, bigger hard drives. I personally would hope for a 24, I'd like to get rid of my DECA boxes.

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    If you happen to get an HR20 and you currently have a 3D TV just call them and they will send you a 3D compatible box without shipping charges.

If you want a specific model you're on your own.

10. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thanks. I will do this then. Thank you. Maybe I'll wait a week so they don't get mad or something though. Fingers crossed for 3D!

11. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Surprise, Surprise.

DirecTV finally emailed me back with Fedex Track Number.

Furthermore, they kindly told me that a HR20-100 was sent. What a joke.

They really need to send people 3D receivers in 2011! Ok, just my rant, I know that actually isn't a legitimate complaint because 99.9 percent don't have 3D, but just my feelings on this.

They said I can call and *TRY* to get a 3D swap out after I hook it up. Oh joy.

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    HR20-100 is what I got as a replacement for my HR10-250 about 3 years ago.
    A refurb of course, since there haven't been any new HR20's for a while.

The built in OTA tuners aren't the best by a long shot, but they do the job pretty well.

It's done the job and I don't really care about 3D.

Oh, and since my HR10-250 was owned, my HR20-100 is owned as well, not that it really matters much anymore.

phox

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Works better than the tuners in the HR21-24 :)

OP Would it be possible to setup MRV? You can still use the HR20 to record 3D programming, you'd just have to use an HR/H 21-25 to play it back or to watch it live.

14. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I appreciate this idea. I might try this in the future if I have a second 3D television. Right now, it would just be simplest to get a HR21 or above. I don't have any 3D capable receiver non-DVR either.

I'll just activate the receiver today and then call back and try to do a 3D swap, hope they'll do it.

I know the HR20 is a really solid model apart from 3D and that it's probably better for many people than a slower HR21 or something, so I don't want to sound like a complainer to anyone here.

My HR10 was owned too, but this replacement won't be because I do not have protection plan. Plus, they are making me send the HR10 to them even though I owned it. Doesn't really bother me though. What can you do with a HR10 and mine is out anyway? Saves me from having an unused receiver in a closet.

It actually makes a bigger deal for me that it will no longer be owned than most because by it being owned and being a former Primestar customer, I did not get any additional receiver charges. I actually have 4 receivers on the account, I only use two, but I get zero additional receiver charges whatsoever.

This replacement receiver, so I am told, will start to get the $6-$7 fee, or whatever it is.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The name on the fee may change, but it will be the same either way. You should NOT see any increases in your monthly bill.

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Sorry Harsh, but you're wrong here.

He was an old Primestar customer, so he didn't pay any mirroring fees at all (no leased receiver fee, or additional receiver fee). Now it sounds like he is going to have to start paying a leased receiver fee for this new receiver, so his bill will be going up by $6.

17. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Yes, you are correct.

One final question...the HR20 that I have to activate to ask for a 3D one, just arrived.

There was NOTHING in the box about sending back the HR10 even though they told me on the phone I had to. What should I do? I don't want some big charge showing up.

Does the return label normally come with the receiver or separately in the mail?

Thank you.

18. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Well

I activated it and then called back to request it be replaced by 3D! ha-ha :lol: Actually this is what a higher up told me to do.

No charge this time. I guess I should have just called and tried to upgrade the HR10 to 3D the first time and maybe I would not been charged any shipping like I was to get the HR10 replaced by HR20.

The HR20 looked nice though. There is nothing wrong with it, new refurb unit. I can see why people still like them!

I will probably be getting a slower, 3D unit. ha-ha. Well I still have a HR20 too.

This HR20 was a 100 unit. My HR 20 is a 700 unit.

Thanks again for the help. Let's hope they truly send a 3D unit this time!

Activating the new HR20 did cause me to start getting a lease fee on 1 receiver that I never had before, but $20 to get 3D rather than hundreds of dollars is probably worth it. DirecTV must be happy to finally be getting a lease/mirror fee off of me after all these years!

19. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Now under "all orders," at DIRECTV.com I'm having the new 3D order showing up as Pro Install, but I've had that happen before when it was really going to ship.

Maybe thats just what it says until it actually ships?

20. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I feel bad about posting again, but...

My HR20s need B Band converts as I just plug them in direct to Slimline 5.

I understand some of the later ones need it and some do not.

With 3D, I should get HR21, HR22, HR23, or HR24.

Which of those will I need to reconnect my B-Band Converters and which will not need them?