1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR20-100 Case Fan Specs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SparkyX, Nov 20, 2010.

1. SparkyX

SparkyX Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Anybody know the specs of the case fan in a HR20-100? I have a noisy fan and would prefer not to swap the receiver and lose my recordings.

Thanks,

- Patrick

2. crendall

crendall Legend

Jun 26, 2006
    I have the same question. The fan in my HR20-100 is getting rather noisy. I tried replacing it with a similar fan but the fan didn't spin. Anyone have a good source for replacement fans for the HR20-100?

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It's a garden-variety 4.5" 12VDC fan. You can get them at any electronics parts supplier. Nothing fancy, no 2-speed logic control. just a dumb fan that spins when it sees 12 volts. Allied.com likely has them.

4. crendall

crendall Legend

Jun 26, 2006
    I picked up a fan at Best Buy that has then same dimensions and runs on 12 VDC but the fan doesn't spin and the internal temp got up to 127 degrees when I pulled the plug.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well then I guess there is no fan that will ever work. :rolleyes:

Either that, or the fan was bad or you didn't hook it up right. I would think you would verify that it spun before closing the case and cooking your DVR.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Or peel off a sicker from the fan and drop little bit oil into.

7. SparkyX

SparkyX Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I figured it out--it is a 80mm case fan, but a $10 Dynex fan I purchased from Best Buy wouldn't spin. I checked the power cable from the broken fan and confirmed with a volt meter that the 12V (red) and ground (black) lines needed to be swapped. I used my smallest jeweler's flatblade screwdriver to gently remove the cables out of the plug and swapped them. Works like a champ now.

On another note, for some reason my HR20-100 wouldn't successfully start up without the internal HD plugged into power and data (I have an external 1TB WD Green drive in an Antec MX-1 case). So much for sparing the HR20 the unnecessary heat.

- Patrick

8. SparkyX

SparkyX Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    FWIW the broken fan is a JMC 8025-12LS, part number 8122271-5. Website is jmcproducts.com .

- Patrick

9. crendall

crendall Legend

Jun 26, 2006
    SparkyX, I purchased the same Dynex fan from Best Buy. I also noticed the red and black wires needed to be swapped, and once I did that the fan started working and the internal temp is holding steady at 108 degrees.