1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR20-100 fan replcement?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    My HR20-100 fan is getting noisy. I want to keep this HR20-100 in operation because I have a 1 TB external hard drive with lots of programs I don't want to lose. I am afraid the fan will fail and the unit will overheat and fail.
    My unit is well out of warranty.
    Has anyone replaced a fan on one of these?
    Is it a difficult job (I am pretty good with this kind of thing).
    Any specs on the fan? replacement?
    Thanks,

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think that is against the terms of service,
    but, I do understand not wanting to lose all those recordings on the external drive.

The surest way to find out what you need is to open it up and get the numbers off the fan that is in it.

I found this link that seems to be what you want.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=186730

3. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    It's pretty easy, actually. The fan is a drop-in unit and I'm sure you can find a close or exact replacement to fit the bill (see below). Excess fan noise can also be caused by failure of the internal temperature sensor which ramps up fan speed. If that's the case, try a full power-down reset to see if it fixes the problem (sometimes a software glitch can make the fan overspeed). Otherwise, replacing the fan won't help. If it's just a noisy fan (rattles, etc.), replacement is warranted (though not in compliance with the TOS) to keep your hard earned recordings.

I have an owned HR20-100 DVR and replaced the Hard Drive which requires fan removal in the process. Here are the steps for just the fan:

1) Remove the 5 torx screws from the rear panel and pull the panel towards the rear. It should pop upwards as it slides. Swing upwards and remove.

2) Disconnect the fan power connector on the main board.

3) Remove the four torx screws holding the card retainer and remove.

4) Remove the remaining four torx screws holding the black plastic fan/HD housing (2 of the screws are recessed but can be removed with an Allen wrench of the proper size), and remove the housing assembly.

5) Remove the fan by depressing the three clips holding its edges.

6) Replace with new fan and reverse the steps to reassemble the unit. Don't forget to reconnect fan power before closing the unit.

You can determine what fan is needed once you remove it, and you might need to use the connector off the old fan (be sure to get the polarity correct when attaching it to the replacement).

I found a pretty good fan supplier who carries a lot of replacement fans:

http://www.thefanvan.net/servlet/StoreFront

They might have this one.

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It's a pretty generic 12v fan, very likely. Some have a 3rd wire for sensing when the fan is not spinning and that ties into an alarm, so if that is all you can find you just leave that wire disconnected.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It isn't if it's owned. If its leased, it is against the TOS, but they also don't want it back if its deactivated.