1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100 freeze/lockup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dbmaven, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    My 'main' (as in attached to the main TV - 60" SONY SXRD) HR20-100 has decided to go on a freeze binge.

It started before last Sunday, but I had all family members log each and every one of them starting on Sunday, 02-November. On several occasions I've submitted reports. The total in one week ended up at 15.

Behavior: While watching live TV, the on-screen picture "freezes" completely, as does audio. The remote still works - I can change to a different channel - either using the up/down or inputting directly. The banner changes to the 'new channel' - but no picture is displayed - just a gray screen. I can start to play back a recorded show, but within 10-20 seconds, the audio and video "jerk", and then a couple of seconds later it goes to a gray screen. Once, I submitted a report while it was in this "gray screen" state.

I've tried menu resets, RBRs, pull-the-plug resets, and the behavior continues.

All other units (1 HR20-100, 1-HR20-700, 2 R15-500) function flawlessly.

Last night - it froze during the last 10 minutes of the Steelers/Colts game (Sunday Ticket) - nobody in the house was particularly happy with that......

After the latest reboot, I pulled the ethernet cable (attached to a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge), we'll see what happens. I intend to swap my other HR20-100 with the balky one to rule out location as an issue - but I've already checked cable and there's no visible issue there.

Called DirecTV last night, and while the person was pleasant and such, I have to wait at least a week for a tech to come out (which is why I'm going to swap receivers). Given the state of techs in my area, I already know that I am more knowledgeable about SWMs and receivers than whoever they send.... :nono2:

What's the likelihood that this isn't a receiver issue ? :confused:

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Might be a multi-switch issue, as looking at your setup you've got 6 tuners running correct? Have you tried going direct from the dish to the troublesome HR20 to rule it out?

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    actually isn't it 10 tuners? the 1 hr freezing=2, 2 other hr20=4, r r15=4.
    I would also look towards a switch error as jodyguercio stated.
    also, don't use visibly ok as a cable check.

4. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    Connections to/from the SWM-8 are as follows:

SWM-1 - PI - Splitter - 1 HR20-100 (not the balky one) and 1 HR20-700
    SWM-2 - Straight run to the balky HR20-100
    Legacy 1 - straight run to one tuner on R15-500
    Legacy 2 and 3 - straight runs to both tuners on R15-500

The SWM-8 handles a maximum of 8 tuners off the SWM ports, and 3 tuners off the Legacy ports. (The legacy ports do not support Ka/HD, which is fine since I'm using them for legacy SD DVRs).

As you can see, I'm using 6 tuners off the SWM ports, and 3 legacy.

If this were a switch issue, it would, I suspect, be causing problems with the other HR20s, if not all the other receivers. However, as I mentioned in my OP, I'm going to swap the HR20-100s to eliminate both cable and SWM as a potential source.

One thing I neglected to mention is that this setup has been functioning perfectly for several months. And the SWM/PI is protected by a UPS.

5. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I dont know much about SWM but could just a port go bad? Maybe try switching SWM 1 & 2 and see what happens. You said you checked all the connections correct? Also since you are running a SWM you dont need the BBCs which can rule those out.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    missed the swm part in last sentence so I was thinking multi switch.
    as said above try the balky one on swm side, that should rule out non-receiver issues.
    you also don't say how unit is hooked to tv, wondering if this is hdmi cable issue.

7. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    2 more lockups today - with the ethernet cable pulled. So, that's not the problem.

After the 'owners' of some recordings have watched them, I'm going to swap with the other -100 - probably Wednesday evening.

Any other ideas/thoughts/ruminations welcome.

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    how are you connected to the tv? have you tried different hookup?

9. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    I'm sorry - could you possibly explain why you might believe this is relevant ?

The TV isn't freezing, the DVR is.

All outputs on DirecTV receivers are active - so you can actually 'feed' multiple TV/monitors - all watching the same output, of course - at the same time. If you've seen situations where the output has made a difference, please link to the posts - I've never seen anything like that in posts here.

Like I've said several times, I'll be switching the DVRs later in the week to rule out the possibility of cable and/or SWM outputs being the issue.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm just wondering if the grey screen is an hdmi output/cable issue. 10 seconds to verify it, up to you.
    I had bad cable causing similar, not quite the same, issues.
    grey screen, info bar with n actual picture, choppy audio.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Sometimes these DVRs acheive a condition known as static buildup and you have to disconnect everything from their Power Source long enough for the static buildup to decline or dissipate. This can take up to 30 minutes. Then you can hook everything back up to the power source, boot back up and you are fine.

I've also had this happen to my phone system and I had to unplug everything for 15 minutes or so and then plug it all back in and it works again because the static buildup has diminished.

12. y2k103

y2k103 New Member DBSTalk Club

Aug 26, 2006
    Well dbmaven, your not alone. My HR21-100 starting doing that Monday morn. Then again this morn. I'm using the 5 LNB with the SWM built in. And I myself change all the cables and checked them with a ohm meter, so I know my system is good. It started after that 290B update. My HR20-700 and HR22-100 are fine. It's just on the HR21-100. Monday I had to unplug it, this morn a RBR worked, so I hope D get it fixed real soon. :nono: