1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100 Keeps Turning Itself On

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by shiffy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. shiffy

shiffy Cool Member

Dec 19, 2006
    I just had an HR20-100 installed as a new subscriber (the anger about it being an HR20 is an entirely different discussion)...but, the last couple of days, I've turned off the receiver and within 45 minutes to about an hour later, the receiver turns itself back on!

Has anyone else experienced this where you can turn a receiver off, but it just keeps turning itself back on for (apparently) no reason?

Note, I don't use RF remotes, and I put the remote into a drawer just to make sure it wasn't doing something crazy. I've also done like 4 RBRs and even forced a software download last night (02468 thing) and it still happens. It woke me up several times last night, and I turned it off before I left this morning and then came home from work and voila--it was on again.

I have a second receiver (and HR21-700) that is NOT doing this. A tech support rep says it's power or temperature related...not sure how it can be power related since every other device in my home is just fine and hasn't had issues. And as for temperature, it's in a well ventilated area, and my home is at a nice 73 degrees right now.

Thoughts anyone?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Suggest you go into the remote setup and redo the IR setup. It might be using both IR and RF and something else is interfering. Repeat the IR setup by doing the RF setup and then the IR setup to eliminate any RF receiver. Also, I believe the HR20-100 has a RF antenna external, if its there, remove it.

Its possible, albeit rare, something in the room is transmitting an IR code

If it still turns on, I would take some black tape and cover the IR window on the HR20 once I turn it off. If it still comes back on, then its an internal problem in the receiver and attempt replacement.

3. blmoore

blmoore Legend

Dec 23, 2006
    Any chance you're getting small power hits, enough to cause it to reboot? I know that after I have power outages that outlast my UPSs, my receivers are not in standby when they come back up.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    So the TV is also turning on in order to wake you up?

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    HDMI interface/handshake issues can cause this sort of problem.

6. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    It could be a marginal power supply that causes the receiver to drop power then automatically turn back on.

7. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    mine used to do this i had it auto-tuned to a certain program and it would turn on whenever that program came on or repeats of it were on.