1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR20-100 overheating - best solution for cooling it down?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by augisdad, Apr 25, 2013.

1. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    For the last week or so, my HR20-100 has been over the temperature limit. Short of getting a replacement, what is the best solution for solving this problem? I've been able to cool it down with a small space heater set on fan setting - but was looking to a more permanent solution. I have not opened it up yet to see if for sure its the fan that it is in fact dead. It has screamed more than once, but has always quieted back down. Maybe tlast weeks was it's final one. I saw where an external USB fan was used to cool an overheating C31, and was wondering if anyone has had any success doing this on an ancient HR20? If so, what kind should I get? One that the HR20 would sit on, or should it blow in from one of the sides. Or should I just get a replacement internal fan? Current temp is 54°C - down from boot temp of 62°C.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Before you buy anything,
    try using a hand held vac and clean out the entry and exit points for air flow.
    Also, I have mine raised on 1" tall strips of styraform to allow a larger area easier air flow around the box.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I would only get a replacement fan if you own the DVR. If it’s a lease you should not open the box.

If the receiver is in the same location under the same conditions as it was before the temperature problems I’d suggest getting replacement.

Cleaning the vents and using a USB fan can’t hurt. It may give you enough life to watch you recordings before replacement or “It’s bleedin’ demised”. ;)

Mike

4. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    OK - ran a vacuum on it - had been meaning to do that when I'd read that. Down to 51°C with the ceramic fan running on it. Have not raised it up any yet. Seems like saying it's overheating and turning the lights on the front - (I had it powered off overnite) would be counteractive to its saying it's "cooling down". Wouldn't normally the fan kick up a notch when this happens? Mike, I'd heard they don't want these back, so figured what's the harm in opening it up now?

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I've heard that as well but I don't have any confirmation. Just be aware that if something goes wrong while you have it open they may not replace it. It's not the opening that's a problem. It's when something gets broke that's the issue.

Mike

6. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
  7. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    Got one. Brought the temp down from 138° to 106°. Wasn't sure which vent to use, but eventually settled on the left side. Thanks SFNSXguy!