1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20-100 pixelation issues on MAX

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gquiring, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I am a new owner with the HR20. I am getting lots of pixelation issues on 520 (MAX) with some movies. Other channels like MGM-HD so far have been perfect. I am not sure but I think the pixelation issue could be related to the sound. It seems if I am watching an action movie where there is a huge sound effect the pixel problem starts and it won't stop until I hit pause, wait a few seconds and hit play.

Most of my signal strenths are in 90's except for 99b there I am in the mid 70's.

2. jedin

jedin Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I never thought the pixelation was tied to sound. I will chck it out, and try to inform you.

3. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    for signal strength. Free installation, the installer doesn't tweak the dish/or align it to peak levels. Especially on the new HD satellites. I'm assuming your watching HD Cinemax. All HD programming is going to satellites 99 & 103 so it's critical you have the dish tweaked and aligned properly for reception of HD. Different channels are on varying transponders so not all Cinemax channels will be on one transponder, that is why I stress alignment.

Software is another factor in what your describing. What software do you have, allow it to download to 0x18a when prompted. Older software has described the problem in which you pause it than play it, and it resolves, this sounds like you need the update.

4. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I have the 018a software. The D* installer do go back up on the roof when we saw the signal levels in 70's on 99b. He tried and could not get it any better.

What is the policy with D* on this? I had the install done last week. Should I call them and make them send someone who can tweak it? Will they charge for it?

5. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    a meter when aligning/tweaking the dish? I had to tweak it myself, to get it in the 90's range on those without disrupting the good levels of 101,110 &119. Most of my levels are 90's on all, with spotbeams at 100%. Without a proper alignment meter it is very difficult to properly align a AT-9 especially, can't say for Slimline, since I don't have one.

6. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    He used a meter. I have a slimline dish.

7. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    reliable or strong as the AT-9. The meters that most installers are using are not designed for the new Ka band, so it won't be tweaked. When the installer did my AT-9, his batteries were dead, and it wouldn't have helped since the model he had was not designed for the newer dish. The bird dog, and accutrac III are designed to align the newer Ka band dishes.

It is difficult to get it aligned right without the meter, but it can be done so you get strong signals on most transponders on all satellites. It can be done.

8. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    How much is the meter?

9. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    but if money is not a factor some will buy one, it the $200+ range. Installers should be provided with the proper alignment tools by the company they are employed (get their van and pay check from) by. However I have read on posts that installers have to buy their own equipment, I don't know how accurate those posts are though.

Here is a URL:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ACUTRACIII

10. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I'll check with my neighbor, he did his own install just a few weeks ago. I'll find out what levels he was able to get without a meter. The installer I had was a decent person, he was not lazy like many have reported. I did not notice what kind of meter he used.

I really don't want to pay $200 bucks but if D* is going to jerk me around with installers that don't have the right equipment the $200 will look cheap in the long run.

But I am not convinced it's the signal levels. I watched some more movies last night and everytime there was a big scene with lots of stuff going on and sound the pixels went crazy.

11. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    and see if he can give you some tips, but I am convinced the dish can be properly aligned to get 90's on all tps for satellites 101,110,119,99 &103, my dish can so yours should also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.