1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100 really has RF issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by qubit, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qubit

qubit Legend

Mar 17, 2006
    The day I got my HR20-100 as a replacement for my HR20-700 it was 100% worse at receiving RF signals from the same remote as the 700 was. The range was cut in half and it wouldn't respond to all button presses and sometimes when it responds it literally has a 2 second delay.
    This is a software issue I believe or at least if they are using the same code on the 700 as the 100 then whatever they changed in RF hardware between the two they need to update something on the 100 side.
    The reason I think its fixable in software is that at one point this got so bad that the remote was hardly useable, I did a RBR and it was MUCH better yet still not approaching anywhere near how perfect it was on my 700. But the fact that I can do a reset and have it be better means something is going on in software.

PLEASE can someone look at this issue...

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The HR20-100 uses an external RF antenna that connects to the back. The HR20-700 uses an internal one. Do you have the external RF antenna connected?

3. trsmith

trsmith New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I have had my HR20-100 for 3 months and the RF has never worked. The antenna is connected. Even the installer could not get it to work. Also, when we switched the HR20 to use RF, the IR remote quit working (we have 2 remotes, 1 IR and 1 with both IR and RF).

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    trsmith, I think you should call and ask for a new unit, especially if it's within 90 days of your install.

5. miksmi21

miksmi21 Legend

Jan 19, 2007
    I've had the issue as well....and even reported it on the CE forum when doing the single CE to the 100 that in turn turned into the national download.

The RF is almost to the point of being useless. Meanwhile I have an R-15 as well and it's happy as a clam on RF. Just the HR20-100 that's bad.

6. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    +1 on getting a replacement, however none of the HR series will do rf and ir at the same time..

7. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    What worked for me was getting a different remote. The RC34 that came the the HR20-100 was TERRIBLE. It was slow to respond and would take 3 or 4 keypresses for it to recognize just one.

I purchased the RC64RB from Directv and it was a night and day difference for me. The RC64RB works great in RF mode. The HR20-100 sees every key press just fine and it has worked from quite a ways away, as well(at least 20 ft or more).

I BOLDED the "for me" statement because it seems that the RC64RB does NOT fix the situation for all people. Others have tried it and it hasn't changed a thing for them. So it's up to you, whether you want to try the remote or not.

8. azentropy

azentropy Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I had the same issue when a HR20-700 went bad and I was given a HR20-100 to replace it. I didn't want to have to swap out another, so I ended up switching rooms with the other HR20-700 I still had.

Afterwards I read on one of the threads that work worked for one person was to put a 10ft cable and then the antenna on the antenna outlet. I turned on RF on the HR20-100 and it works MUCH better.

9. qubit

qubit Legend

Mar 17, 2006
    yes I have the external ant connected. And I don't think its the rc34 as it works perfect with the 700. And again, after a RBR it is better just still not good at all. It is def something that can be "fixed" in their software I just don't think they've looked at it yet.

10. Mark_M

Mark_M AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    I have the external antenna atached and have the same results as you with both rc32, rc34 & the 64 remote. Both my HR20-700 & HR20-100 are in my family room. I can contol the HR20-700 from anywhere in the house including upstairs bedrooms. The HR20-100 barely works with any of these remotes even when I am in the same room as the receiver. I got so frustrated with this that I switched the HR20-100 back to IR. This stinks because I already have the HR20-700 piped up to the upstairs bedrooms using an RF modulator and was planning to do the same with the HR20-100.

11. Mark_M

Mark_M AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    I haven't tried the 10ft cable extension on the antenna. I will have to give that a try and see if it helps.

12. qubit

qubit Legend

Mar 17, 2006
    This is horrible. what did D* change hardware wise for RF from the 700 to 100? besides the external antenna which seems to have the opposite effect.

13. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd like to see this solved as well. I've 'extended' my antenna by adding at 5 foot long coax cable but it still works very poorly. Poorly enough that the wife still pines for the old Tivo. The whole mpeg-2 to mpeg-4 conversion still doesn't resonate with her.

14. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not up on how the RF works itself, but is it possible to use a 3rd party RF remote with the HR20? I know with the Directv remote, you have to type in part of the receiver's card number, so I'm not sure how you would do that with something like a Harmony 890.

15. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    No, ALL RF universal remotes only know one RF frequency, their own which they use to communicate with their RF basestations. They can only control IR components but use RF to do it from afar.

16. Mark_M

Mark_M AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    +1. Exactly - things with external antennas are always supposed to work beter than the same equipment with an internal antenna.

17. qubit

qubit Legend

Mar 17, 2006
    Is there any where to post this as a "bug" somewhere to help be sure D* looks at it?

18. sonicsi16

sonicsi16 Cool Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I also had problems with RF on my HR20-100. It was totally worthless and frustrating. Ended up switching back to IR and eventually got a Harmony remote.

19. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Godfather

Jan 24, 2003
    That's what I did. The Harmonies put out a much more powerful IR beam than the standard HR20 remote. Obviously, it can't go through a wall or cabinet, but the Harmony controls my ceiling mounted projector no matter where I aim it.

That said, I'm a happy camper--don't really like the HR20 remote at all, and of course, it sucks as a universal remote.

The RF function doesn't work acceptably on either of my two HR20's. This kind of issue exemplifies what is wrong with the HR20. Just not ready for prime time. How could they have missed something so obvious?????:nono2:

20. qubit

qubit Legend

Mar 17, 2006
    I'll be posting here once a day until fixed or confirmed from someone that it is in fact a problem they will be looking into...
    thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.