1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100 Recording Issue (live football)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jmh139, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jmh139

jmh139 AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    An issue has just started with my HR20-100 that I could not find searching the forums. I have noticed this only on Sunday football as it is the only time I have this specific situation.

I am recording a football game, and watching the recording. When I catch up to the buffer and am watching it live, and then hit pause, the screen goes blank. I loose all access to HD channels. I can change to a SD channel and see it fine on both tuners, but neither tuner will tune any HD channel, locals included. This does not happen every time I hit pause, but it will happen at some point when I hit pause.

The only solution at this point is to reboot the receiver. This has happened the last three Sundays. It happens on the 700 channels and the local networks. I am not sure if this happens with other programming, but imagine it does. Just about everything I watch except football is recorded in the past, it is very rare for me to watch live TV. This has never happened before the last three Sundays.

I have a HR21 connected to the same dish (SL3 with 4 cable run, no SWM, etc). It does not have this problem after testing it extensively last Sunday.

The HR20 is about 3 years old with a 750 gig replacement drive. I have bought a 2tb drive to try replacing, but I have a feeling this is not a hard drive issue. Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions? I really want to try everything I can before I call Directv. I plan to re-download the firmware (just something to try) and install the new drive soon.

2. jmh139

jmh139 AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    I downloaded the latest CE software last night with fixed this issue for me. I can no longer reproduce it with extensive testing.

3. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    this happens to me every freakin' weekend, and it is *REALLY* getting on my nerves. Anyone know approximately when the next national release is going to happen? I don't want to deal with CE releases, but if it is going to be a while before the next release, i guess i will have to. its either that or throw this stupid HR20 out the f'n window.

4. jmh139

jmh139 AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    ha not sure how much this has to do with it, but the only other person I found that has the problem is also in the Raleigh area. I thought maybe it was just a locals problem, but it happened on any HD channel. I have been running the CE for two weeks now with no issues at all.

5. melodan

melodan New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I've experienced this problem many times this football season. It last happened yesterday - I was able to watch the Wisconsin game on ESPN but could not tune to any CBS HD channel (local Tucson, New york or LA DNS) to watch the LSU game. I tried watching with double play and simply watching the recording from the list. I also tried starting a recording on another HD DVR and watching over MRV but still got a black screen. I wonder if it has anything to do with 1080 vs 720 channels? I was able to tune to the SD CBS channel and watch the game. Of course, a restart makes everything work fine.

This is on an HR20-100 running the latest NR.

6. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    it definitely has something to do with the 1080i vs 720p. the last few times it has happened to me, i have done some testing to better understand the problem. for me at least, the last few failures had these symptoms:

all 1080i from a satellite feed did not work. this includes recorded content and live content.
    1080i over-the-air still worked
    720p from satellite or over-the-air still worked

before i narrowed it down and started doing the exhaustive testing i *think* i had a cases where 720p did not work, but 1080i did, and cases where 1080i over-the-air and over satellite did not work. but i am not sure about these.