1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR20-100 - The Next Look

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to DBSTalk's "NEXT" Look at the newest HR20 model.
    HR20-100 Manufactured by Thomson/RCA

[​IMG]
    Full Size

------
    Kudos go out to our other members, who started to report last week that the HR20 was hitting the "streets".

And thanks to lewgar for posting the first "on the street" pics of the HR20-100.

2. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    This is not going to be your "typical" review thread, that you are used to from me. This is "all" about the insides on this one.

Couple Things:
    • The "user" functions of this unit are the same as it's counter part HR20-700
    • At this time it is on software version 0x12a. It is a "few" release behind the HR20-700, but it will soon catch-up
    • I did not receive mine in a "consumer" box, so I can't comment on "exactly" what will be included if you purchase or receive one

All right... On to the photos.

3. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Well... let's get this out of the way: Yes.. It is GLOSSY black.
    The shell appears to "look" plastic, yet it is metal.

It is definently lighter then it's older brother, the HR20-700...

With the panels closed: The buttons, placement, and everything about the front is the same as the HR20-700. One Difference: The USB port is "sunken" a bit, where the HR20-700's was flush with the casing

Some other things have changed with the case...
    The size has changed a bit. It is ~ 1/4" smaller width wise, about ~3/4" shorter depth wise. It is the same hight.
    (I will show some of those pictures at the end).

But the "venting" for the case has changed...
    1st - There are no vents on the top of the unit.
    2nd- There are now vents on both sides, and on back. On the back.. you will notice there are VENTS at the "bottom" of the case, as well as a couple other places on the back.
    3rd - An external fan on the BOTTOM of the unit. The feet on this unit are a little higher (and they are soft) then the HR20-700's

4. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    The next major difference in this unit...
    The entire back panel is different.. The pictures will speak for themselves for the new layout.

Two new ports though:
    A 2nd Ethernet Port (Which is NOT active at this time)
    An the RF antenna is now external (instead of internal on the HR20-700).

The photos:

You will also notice in those photo's - The power adapter for this model is 3 pronged, while the HR20-700 was only two.

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Now... This is probably what a lot of you where waiting for.

Let me say... opening this unit was a LOT easier then the HR20-700.
    And once it was open... my jaw dropped.. Why? Well.. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
  7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.