1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20/100 troubles/any recommendations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wmidwest, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :grin:

My HD DVR has finally started acting up after using it from the time of my initial HD upgrade. I switched rooms with identical one. Still having problems only more frequent. Upon boot a continuous wait for self check to complete. When I can get it to work, my test results show diagnostic code 21-72-881 Internal Storage Error Detected. Without too much review I am assuming a hard drive may soon fail for good.

Now was thinking instead of replacing unit, could I just add an external SATA drive. I know folks have been doing this for several years for additional recording time. Am aware of many of the forums and web pages , Amazon, eBay, etc.

opt. 1) ask DirecTv for replacement DVR, I need OTA/locals tuners.
    opt. 2) buy external SATA hard drive. Hope it hold up long after warranty expires.
    opt. 3) Do both opt. 1 & 2.

Any experience or recommendations out there? DirectV replies only please. May also want to post reply on the DirecTv tips forum?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since you will lose your recordings anyway, I would call D* for a replacement and upgrade to eSATA storage...the best of both worlds...one thing I really like about the eSATA option is that if the external drive starts to show signs of going bad, grab another, hook them up to your pc, and copy the entire failing drive to a new drive and keep your recordings...not the only but a very convincing reason to use an eSATA solution.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    When my HR20-100 started to do the same thing last year, I decided to get an HR24 from an online dealer as a replacement. This way I got the DVR model I wanted. I have no need for additional external storage because with the HR23 also in use, it's plenty.

4. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Kind of my thinking too. Wasn't sure about copying data though between the two drives with a PC. Have seen some hacks from another web site, but this was several years ago and when one attempted to replace the internal hard drive. I don't even want to go there.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, you don't. You can't open the box if it's leased.

6. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I don't even want to go there.
    If I open the DVR I am breaking the TOS?
    You got the wheels and gears turning now. Can I open a HR10-100 that nobody wants without consequences?
    thanks, b

correction HR20-100?

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Only if its an owned unit

8. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It is an orphan. Was replaced several years ago shortly after HD upgrade by local techs. D* doesn't want it. I thought I could connect internal hard drive via eSata/Sata cable to my failing HR20-100 to see if it works (A hard failure as of today). Just a thought.:nono2:

see my public profile

9. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Update.

Ordered WD My Book AV with Amazon. Will be here next month. My HD DVR is working somewhat better but I now have a 21-143 error when running self test. Still a hard drive problem me thinks. I am hoping it will play until an external eSata drive gets here.

Very slow to inoperable when trying to watch a recording from another DVR (whole house) and one or two shows are being recorded. Drop back to my standby (NetFlix) via WD media player. Oh well.

10. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :grin:Well I am running with Opt. 2 - external esata. Been working perfectly now for 3 days. Recordings perfect. Remote working fast on RF. Whole home very good.

I think I will let it play this way for awhile. Reexamine opt. 3 at a later time.

Hope this info helps others....

Bill

11. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Weelll. My second DVR is now acting up for several weeks now. Does work somewhat better in a different room. :(

Problem: Garbled/crappy signal and sound from channel 70 up on the non-subscription channels.

Any suggestions to a fix for this?

I am planning on doing another Option 2. Adding an external drive. Do not know if this will fix this problem.. All testing says the DVR is OK. :hurah:

12. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :confused: Adding eSata drive didn't fix this second problem. But it did speed things up quite a bit.

Any suggestions out there to fixing this problem? I may have to query customer service one of these days.

Problem: Channels above 70 that are not subscription HD have pixelating/garbled video and garbled sound with many annoying chirps.

Channels like GSN or Disney West. :nono2::confused::sure:

13. AlbaTiVo

AlbaTiVo Cool Member

May 26, 2007
    Is this the only box experiencing this as it sounds more like a signal issue - like your dish needs realigned.

14. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Problem appears to be only in the living room location. I have a similar DVR in bedroom that works fine. Another DVR in basement works fine also. Also, I have whole house sharing. This DVR has a splitter on it for both tuner connections. Should I switch the splitter to see if problem clears up? I think when the tech installed the whole house he may have used one of my used splitters for this DVR?

15. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the HR20-100 requires a "special" connection in order to power the receiver DECA. if you removed the splitter, the HR20 would no longer participate on WHDVR. you can however remove the splitter to test if this is the problem for your satellite reception. out of curiosity, what size is the main SWM splitter?

16. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have an 8 output SWM. 2 outputs are terminated @SWM. I removed the splitter and used only tuner 1. Wasn't able to see bad channels. I get a loss of power message. If I remove either output side of splitter one at a time I get a loss of power and loss of communications message. Scratching my head still on this one. Maybe replace splitter with a fresh one?

17. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok. Try again. I removed splitter. This time I connected directly to tuner 2. Duh. Signal now perfect on all channels. So is the problem the splitter or the DEC?

18. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Signals perfect when using tuner 2 only directly or with splitter. I did DVR reset. Still on tuner 2. No whole house of course. Connecting DEC to tuner 1. (Now at original connections.) DVR locked up. Corrective action taken by pressing red reset button. Waiting for next message. Just a few more seconds. Running receiver self-check... Step 1 of 2 ... Almost done. Step 2 of 2 ... (streaming info) Rebuiliding scheduler list... ?Will it be OK? Nope, I still have original problem. What is causing this? Splitter/DEC/tuner 1/DVR/home network hub/cabling/cabling connectors/SWM/dish?

19. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :confused:

Leaving cable off of tuner 1 for now. Will reattach for whole house recordings on other two DVRs. A temporary fix at best. Hope to resolve by summer. HaHa. :grin:

20. Wmidwest

Wmidwest Cool Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :eek2:Weell. Amazing things these electronics gadgets. I fixed problem to my personal satisfaction. Swapped identical DVRs from two different locations. After removing cables, swapping cables, DVRs, eSata drives to no avail I continued to have problems. Reviewing SWM & 101 signals during each step I tried to duplicate similar conditions. NOT a satellite signal problem. Signals all strong at all locations in all configurations. I think this particular DVR is sensitive to some ? overriding interference which rides on the good signals when installed in a metal TV stand. Just an educated guess. Anyways it works fine when installed in another location using a wooden TV stand. During tb found a bad eSata drive cable. So I was jumping back and forth between the internal and external drive. Bummer. Now to convince the wife that changing the season passes won't be so bad. END to thread for several more years I hope.:rolleyes:& a service call. YAY!