1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by wallfishman, Sep 3, 2010.

1. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    2 things from what I've read you aren't supposed to hook up an hr20-100 to deca without the Internet hooked up. Is this true, will it work properly or not.

2nd thing is they ran out of regular decas and our sending us out with broadband decas. They don't have a coax pass thru like a regular deca. What would the best way to hook up one of those behind an hr20-100 instead of a regular deca. We were told to put a 4 way behind it . 1 to broadband deca , 1 to sat 1, and one to sat 2 .

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There has been a software update to resolve the lack of a broadband DECA.

Using a broadband DECA for a receiver is a kludge.
    "If you must":
    Use a bandstop on the SAT 1 input,
    Skip connecting anything to the SAT 2, since this was for power and you'll need to use the PI that comes with the broadband DECA instead.
    There is no need to use a 4-way, so use a 2-way. "Really" the only difference is the SAT 2 connection being replaced with a PI.

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Using the new style broadband DECA's at receivers is really a bad idea, but I understand you've gotta do what you've gotta do... Since a 2-way splitter is necessary to utilize this DECA you're causing a tremendous amount of un-necessary DB loss :nono2:

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    For a HR20-100, you would be using a 2-way splitter anyways as you would need to split the output from the DECA to the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs. With the Broadband DECA, you are just not using the SAT2 input, but as VOS pointed out, you still need a 2-way splitter.

@wallfishman:
    You do not need to be connected to the Internet in order to have your receivers hooked up for MRV with DECAs. Using a DECA to bridge to your home network, will help with getting IP addresses for you receivers, but even then you still do not need an Internet connection.

- Merg

5. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks guys. Merg I know u don't need Internet for deca to work but at 1 time I read somewhere on here that for this particular model hr20-100 u did. They are so short on hddvrs right now they are sending us to new installs with deca and hr20-100s!

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't ever remember reading about the HR20-100 needing Internet for DECA to work. The only issue with the HR20-100 is just that you need to power the DECA as well using the SAT2 input.

- Merg

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The HR20-100s never needed an internet connection to work. What they did need was a DHCP server (router, PC, etc) to work correctly.

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    In the case of the HR20 you're correct, but my comment was really regarding the below quote by the OP which would apply to all receivers: