1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100S and OTA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jkseger, Oct 6, 2010.

1. jkseger

jkseger Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    All,

I did a search in almost every D* forum and looked back a couple of months but, I didn't see anything related to my issue.

I've had this HR20-100S for quite a while and have never had any trouble watching or recording anything from my OTA. Recently, shows that I record regularly have started to be very intermittent and sometimes I even get the message that D* could record the show.

I have a wonderful Winegard antenna and am using a amplifier. I have tested that this antenna works fine with a TV outside of the D* connection.

Has D* made any software mods recently that might have affected how the box processes the OTA signal? It's really aggravating, as the only way I can get my favorite show is OTA.

Please let me know if there's any additional information you need.

Thanks in advance...

John

P.S. Does the HR24 have OTA built in or do I need an adapter?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Have you checked the Off-Air signal readings? How do they look? Be sure to look at both tuners.

Yes, the HR24 requires an AM21 Off-Air tuner accessory. But some HR24 users have reported functional issues with the HR24+AM21 combo.

3. jkseger

jkseger Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Thank you so much for the reply....

Forgive me for not being as knowledgeable as most, I looked through the whole signal strength menu and didn't see anything about checking the OTA signal.

Would you tell me how to do that?

Thanks,

John

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I think it's under
    Menu > System Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yeah, once you select Antenna setup you can then select signal strengths.

BTW, my HR20-100s has no problems with OTA. What has happened is that I sometimes see pixelation on OTA with the change of seasons. It's called multipath in the digital broadcast world.