1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100s no DD audio when FF/REW/Pause/Changing Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rblancojr, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2007 #1 of 12
    rblancojr

rblancojr Cool Member

Jan 4, 2007
    ******* Forgive me, but I reposted this thread in this forum since I beleive I originally posted in the wrong location. ******* :D

I got my HR20-100s unit installed yesterday. Everything seemed to be going fine until I hooked up my optical connection to my B&K Reference 30 Audio Preamp.

Selecting recordings that I made last night (i.e. Discovery HD, HBO, etc.) or switching live channels in the Guide that have Dolby Digital audio streams will kill the DD 5.1 audio under the following conditions:

Pausing content and then pressing Play
    Rewinding and then pressing Play
    FF and then pressing Play
    Changing channels

The only way I have been able to remedy the situation is by selecting a different source on my A/V Preamp and then switching back to the source input for the HR20 -EVERY TIME!! . There is no way I can deal with this each time I FF, Rew, Pause, etc. Changing channels from one that has DD to one that does not DOES bring back audio.

Resetting, rebooting, etc. does not sovle the issue. I have the latest firmware revision on the box after the installer forced the update yesterday. Its as if the A/V Preamp is not receving the proper signal that there is DD available. I have read some other posts about similar issues, but could not find updated information.

Any clues or ways that I might try to remedy?

2. Jun 2, 2007 #2 of 12
    rblancojr

rblancojr Cool Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Just to add to my above post, I have noticed that the issue takes about 5 seconds to occur after one presses pause, or changes channels, FF, etc. If I do a instant replay quickly it still works. If I press pause and wait, you can hear a slight little "pop". Its as if the audio stream gets "turned off" by the HR20 after a few seconds and does not output anymore. It seems that the a/v decoder does not detect an audio stream anymore at that point.

Again, the only way to get DD back is to press play on the HR20 and change audio inputs back and forth on the a/v decoder in order for it to be able to detect the audio stream which has just been "turned on" again.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I am concerned that calling DirecTV tech support will produce an answer of "just turn DD off". (Which incidentally, if I do that, the regular Pro Logic/Stereo stream (PCM) works fine.

3. Jun 2, 2007 #3 of 12
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I'm not having that problem w/ my HR20-100s and NAD receiver connected via optical TOS-link. Maybe a configuration issue on your pre-amp?

4. Jun 2, 2007 #4 of 12
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Contact B&K. I'd bet its some kind of firmware bug in their stuff.

5. Jun 2, 2007 #5 of 12
    rblancojr

rblancojr Cool Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I was considering that since it might be a "detection" of the signal by my B&K

6. Jun 7, 2007 #6 of 12
    linger

linger Legend

Nov 5, 2005
    VA
    I am having a similar problem to that with an Onkyo receiver. My problem occurs when i switch from a DD channel to a non DD channel. My audio drops off, and i have to change the input on my receiver and then back, and it works again. It is very annoying.

7. Jun 7, 2007 #7 of 12
    John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    My Denon AV Receiver has an "AUTO" feature that automatically detects which type audio is being fed. It may be that the B&K and Onkyo have such a feature?

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 12
    TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I just got my HR20-700 installed today. Initially my DD via optical cable into my Harman Kardon receiver worked. I left the house for a few hours and came back and noticed that any station that brodcast in DD would not have audio. I switched to no DD on the HR20 and then I could hear the PCM signal fine. I then read that if you switch off the receiver and then back on that will re-sync the audio and sure enough, after power cycling the receiver, I could hear DD again.

I've been searching this subject online and many receivers are having the same issue. The comon thread is the HR20. I've never had any issues with DD over my Optical cable before using my DVD player or HR10-250.

Looks like a bug with the HR20. Nothing else has caused my receiver to do this.

It's not the receivers.....

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 12
    chance

chance Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    You probably need a firmware upgrade. I had the same problem back when I had the Tivo HD. You probably have firmware 2.01 I think the latest for the Ref 30 is 2.11 which I have and no issues anymore.

Good luck

10. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...

Works fine with my Pioneer receiver.

11. Mistar Muffin

Mistar Muffin New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I came here via a Google search. I got D* service this week with an HR20-700 because of the new channels that are being added soon. After the installer left, I encountered the same problems. I have a Yamaha HTR-6090, and whenever I go from a DD channel to another DD channel, I lose audio. This occurs when sending audio over HDMI, or separately over optical. I can change to a PCM channel and I have audio there, but going back to an DD channel yields nothing. The ONLY thing that gets me audio is changing inputs on my Yamaha receiver to something else, and back again. The audio lasts until I change channels again, just like the OP. I called DirecTV "Advanced technical support" I described the problem, and the girl on the phone talked me through the menu and had me disable DD. I thought she had some test in mind, but she proceeded to say, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?". I was like "Woah, woah honey, that is not a solution". I had enabled DD myself and to me, its just as much a part of "high definition" as the high-res picture. She proceeded to tell me that I had to use an optical cable, as thats all HDMI supported, all they were prepared to support. After recovering from my shock at this "news", I informed her this was not the case, that HDMI supported audio fine, and wasn't a "feature", that if a device had HDMI, it could send audio, a requirement of the specification. After she insisted this not the case, I asked if I could talk to someone who knew what they were talking about. While I was waiting for the supervisor, I checked the manual for the HR20 which said I could use HDMI for a "one cable solution, not requiring a separate audio cable". I quoted it to him, and he said the unit was defective and send me a new one next day. After hooking up the new one, and getting the same problem, I borrowed an optical cable from my neighbor, and hooked it up, to discover that this was not even a solution. So, I'm really at a loss. I noticed my Yamaha receiver's Dolby Digital light flickers when I change channels, and when it becomes solid, I have no audio, even though it's reporting DD5.1. D* is at a loss, so I'm gonna call Yamaha tomorrow and see what's up.

FYI: The Yamaha has no problems with dropping DD or DTS over HDMI on several other sources, including an upconverting DVD player, Xbox 360, and PS3. This is isolated to the HR20.

12. rblancojr

rblancojr Cool Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Muffin, welcome to the "club". I have been dealing with this issue for months with still no resolution. You may find this thread also of interest:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1098181

What I find interesting in your post is the fact that this is also occuruing to you via HDMI. I dont have anything HDMI capable right now so I could nto test that scenarion. This tells me that its something in the way the HR20 sends its DD signal that outboard processors have problems dealing with. If you have gone that far with DTV support and nothing came of it, I am not even going to bother wasting my time talking to them.

Have you set your DD receiver to "Auto" detection of the signal? I have read where in some cases this has helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.