1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR20-70 not picking up all OTA channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by philmalik, Dec 22, 2011.

1. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    I have a HR20-700. I also live close to the Canadian border and am able with my antennae outside my house plugged directly into my TV to pick up 6 OTA HD stations.

Signal levels are very strong for the OTA stations on my TV signal meter.

I thought I would experiement and plug the coax from outside into the off air input on the HR20-700.

I found that only 2 of the 6 stations show up on the DirecTV guide, which is also the case when I actually scan through all the OTA channels using channel up.

Was wondering why I only would be receiving 2 of the 6 OTA channels?

P.S. All the OTA 6 channels are digital, btw.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    The DIRECTV receivers will not pick up Canadian channels.

3. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    It's picking up 2 of the 6 I get through my TV.

4. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    I wasn't aware that it was possible to scan OTA channels with an HR20-700.

I thought that it could only be done with an HD non-dvr (ie H20 or H2x with AM21).

Is this a new feature that has been added to the HR20 or has it always been there?

5. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    It's always been there on the HR20-700. And, one of the benefits of the older school HR series is that it has the coax input built in. For some of the newer models, I think you have to buy an add -on to get OTA.

6. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Yes. I know that the HR20 has a built in OTA input. I just didn't know that it could manually "scan" for OTA channels the way an HDTV could with an ATSC tuner.

An HR20 (or HR2x with an AM21), I thought, will only receive OTA channels that D* has in its system, based on what zip code you give it on OTA setup. A HD non-dvr, such as an H20, has this scan feature that will allow you to pick up additional channels that may not be in the D* data guide, just like an HDTV would.

7. racermd

racermd Legend

Dec 17, 2006
    I think there is some confusion over the word "scan" in this case.

The HR20 is unable to scan for local channels to be defined in the guide and, instead, relies in D* providing a channel map for your area. You get the channels they think you can get and no more.

You can then "scan" through those defined channels available to you to see what is on.

I hope that helps.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You cannot "scan" for channels on any of the HR20's. The only recent D* unit that actually would scan for OTA was the original H20 from circa 2005. Scanning for OTA is when you ask the tuner to look for all the channels it can see by scanning the entire frequency range. This is how most tvs and standalone ATSC tuners work. D* uses a lookup by zip code to tell which OTA channels to pickup, and provide guide data.

Perhaps for your zipcode, a couple of the canadian stations are included in your areas guide, but more likely they coincide with 2 frequencies for US stations you should be getting instead.

I had one of the original H20-600's and I still have an HR20-700, so I have had extensive experience with both units.

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My HR20 included almost all the almost sub-channels in the LA area in the DirecTV database up until about a year ago. Apparently DirecTV stopped adding any new sub-channels since then. I'm up to well over 100 total OTA digital channels on both my TV's with a rooftop antenna. Most are foreign language.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    HR34 w/AM21 actually "scans." Maybe they will eventually port that feature to the other HR's. I get about 18 more OTA stations on my HR34 than on my HR24's w/AM21's. Mostly useless stations with useless subchannels.

11. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Is there any guide data present for those "mostly useless stations", or what does it display in the Guide? I would think there would only be guide data for the stations that are part of the D* database, and from your description, you are seeing quite a few more stations that those that are part of the database.

Is there a scan procedure for the HR34, so you can observe it actually "picking off" the individual OTA stations that are not part of the D* database?