1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 and Whole Home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Jimbos G, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Jimbos G

Jimbos G Mentor

Mar 19, 2006
    Ok, on Monday I am having a Genie installed which will be replacing an HR24 in my living room. Problem is I don't want to lose the HR24 and would rather exchange it with an old HR20 I have in the bedroom which is old and slow.....and finally be rid of the HR20

My router is in the room with the HR20 so that is where the whole home is setup. Now, can I just swap receivers and have it work? Connect the HR24 the same way that the HR20 is connected?

I could just have the installer put the Genie in place of the old receiver but I'd rather have the Genie in the living room.

I hope I was clear, sorry if I confused anybody. Please advise

Thanks

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't see any issue, the 24 would not use the DECA.

3. Jimbos G

Jimbos G Mentor

Mar 19, 2006
    Looks like the HR20 is using 2 Decas, there's one before the router too. So just take the Both Decas off?

4. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Yes.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If one DECA is connected to your router or a switch, don't disconnect that one.

The HR20 requires a DECA, the HR24 doesn't.

6. Jimbos G

Jimbos G Mentor

Mar 19, 2006
    OK I'll leave the Deca by the router and discard the Deca with the Satelite in.

Thank you

7. Jimbos G

Jimbos G Mentor

Mar 19, 2006
    Ok, one of the Decas is connected to the router via Ethernet and satellite cable goes in to the second Deca and Ethernet goes from the second Deca into the receiver.

If I'm doing away with the second Deca how is the Ethernet connected to the HR24 ?

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ok, one of the Decas is connected to the router via Ethernet and satellite cable goes in to the second Deca and Ethernet goes from the second Deca into the receiver.

If I'm doing away with the second Deca how is the Ethernet connected to the HR24 ?
    The HR24 has DECA built in, so no ethernet or standalone DECA connects to it. just the coax from the splitter

9. Jimbos G

Jimbos G Mentor

Mar 19, 2006
    Got it . Thanks so much for the help.