1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr20-700 & ATSC Antenna?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DjEclipse, Jan 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DjEclipse

DjEclipse New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a HR20-700 and see that it has a spot to hook up an ATSC antenna to get local HD channels.

What antenna is required/ recommended and how well does it work? Is there anything else I need to do, or do you just plug it in and you'll be able to see the local HD channels in the guide (like the manual says)?

Thanks.

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
  3. DjEclipse

DjEclipse New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been reading the forums and came across the history of the receivers here.

w w w .dbstalk . c o m/showthread.php?t=159295

It seems DBSTalk has played a part in testing software updates for receivers before they were Officially released.

As for the ATSC antenna question, I went to that website, filled out the form and it gave me a list of stations with a compass heading etc. Is that first column with the stat balled DTV, Direct TV? or something else.

So I assume now I have to select an antenna?

I see in the chard, it shows you the channel number of the station I am able to receive. eg. 4.1, 43.1 etc. Looking on the web for antennas I am having a hard time finding an antenna that will pick up the entire spectrum of channels, some are good rot 14-61, but I don;t see any that go as low as channel 4.

Also, once I get the antenna, how will the receiver get the program information etc.?

thanks.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There are a couple of problems here:

1. your location is outside the DirecTV market.
    2. your local station information will not come from DirecTV and the HR20 needs this to tune to them.
    3. If you're trying to pickup US stations, then you can enter a US zip code during the setup that will receive these stations and get the data needed for it to tune to them.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Also, remember that the channel a station is assigned isn't necessarily the frequency they are broadcast on.
    For example, channel 40 here is actually on frequency 8.
    This will affect what antenna you need.

VOS: You need to fix the typo in #2 of your reply. :)

6. DjEclipse

DjEclipse New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

1. I am in the Buffalo Niagara falls NY area, using the antennaweb's locator it says I am able to pick up stations form Buffalo and Jamestown & Springfield NY, most are within 11 miles from me.

2. So you're saying that Direct TV provides local over the air station information?

Since I am on the boarder I assume my antenna will be able to pick up both U.S and Canadian over the air channels. Are you saying I will only be able to view the U.S. stations with the HR20?

3. I am a little confused. You say I will be able to enter a U.S. zip code during set up and I will get the information needed to tune to them. But just above you said I won't be able to view them.

I am confused.

7. DjEclipse

DjEclipse New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    So which is the channel, and which is the frequency?

On the chart I see channel, and RF channel. Which is which, and which one determines which antenna set up I need?

Thanks.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You will not be able to get Canadian stations because the HR20 does not scan for channels. It maintains a database of US channels for each zip code.

Now, I must ask you this question and an honest answer is appreciated. Are you receiving DIRECTV service at a Canadian address and using a US billing address? I believe that would go against your DIRECTV customer agreement.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You won't get information for Canadian stations, since you "shouldn't be using" this receiver there.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You will be able to view the US stations. Directv uses a database, rather than scanning and the database does not include any Canadian stations. Some users have reported finding a secondary zip code which had the correct ATSC channel mapping, although the guide information would be incorrect.

11. DjEclipse

DjEclipse New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Ok, thanks for the clarification

I am not receiving any Direct TV service at any address. I came across an older PVR receiver and figured it could be a great ATSC receiver with the ability to record/ schedule recordings etc.

Why do you ask? Why the mention of the customer agreement?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This receiver will be useless for you as it only works with an active DirecTV account, so that is why these questions were asked.

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The RF channel is what I was referring to with frequency.