1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 Dead front panel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by buddy3000, Apr 27, 2011.

1. buddy3000

buddy3000 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I have an HR20-700 that I was in the process of changing out the hard drive. In the mist of my stupidity I was doing the graceful power down and had the panel hanging loose while I disconected the power. As Murpheys law would have it the panel became unplugged while powering down. It was dead after that.

Everything else seems to functions normally, but I don't have any control and I would like to record off what I currently have on my drive. I did some research and I know that I cannot transfer the drive to a different receiver without wiping the drive clean. I have also already tried to replace the panel in hope just the panel was damaged.

Finally my question;
    Is there a way to setup an RF remote without the panel. Or is there a way to control the receiver without a remote or panel. I'm pretty sure there is no way to get the content of this receiver without the receiver so I won't even go there.

I didn't know until this happened that the external drive was not transferable between recievers, I just assumed it was. Again, my stupidity.

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    So the ribbon cable came unplugged during a power-down?
    Doesn't seem like that should be a problem.
    Dumb question - did you plug the ribbon cable back in? Can't remember if it can be plugged in backwards or not.
    My first thought is that an RF remote wouldn't work without a functional front panel but I don't really know. And if it was previously in IR mode then no way to change it.
    Does the DVR still function as an MRV server?

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You just need to Plug the Cable back in for the Front Panel unless you damaged it while it was holding up the Front Panel.

Why didn't you secure the Front Panel instead of letting it just hang with the weight on the Plug and Cable?

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Maybe someone has a panel they would sell you? ;) (PM me)

5. buddy3000

buddy3000 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Thanks for the offer, but as I stated I already tried to replace the panel.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You mean you replaced a bad panel with another bad panel? What are the odds of that, something else wrong possibly?