1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 hard drive failure.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dixoncider, Nov 26, 2008.

1. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    Got a blue screen today that says. hard drive failure call directv or reboot. Reboot same thing. unplug reboot same thing. The hard drive is done. My question is if I hook up and esata drive to it will it boot?

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    It should work with an esata external drive hooked up.

3. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    Thats what I was thinking. just to get me by until the new one shows up. THe OS is on the rom chip it think.

4. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    correct.. I would expect that as long as the harddrive controler is ok it will run fine with an external..

5. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    Worked!! watching TV in just a few minutes. Thanks

6. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    If I were to get a 1TB sata drive and crack the case (I know lease agreement) remove old drive and install new one would it work? or do I need to hook it up via esata first and then put it in the case?
    Thanks

7. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes a new drive will work without hooking it up to the eSata first.

8. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Just an FYI, I had that problem a few months ago on one of my HR20-700 units. I unplugged it for like 20-30 minutes and it has been working since. 2 RBRs returned the error....but the complete power down worked.

9. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    A new drive SHOULD work.... only problem is that your particular issue could possibly be with another component (controller, cable, mobo, etc.) and not the actual drive that is causing the problem. If you are using esata and it works, I'd stick to that.

10. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes, that is correct, it could be another component. I'm actually not sure why the OP, unless he owns the unit, wouldn't just get it replaced. It's not like he can watch anything on the HD that's in the machine anyway. The eSata drive is a good temporary fix until a new unit is sent to him though.

11. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    I am not sure but I think that I own it. When I called today to get the new one sent they did not say anything about getting it back. and I asked if they needed it back they did not know. I may just get cable anyways now. its way cheaper. Since its working now I have a little while to think about it.

12. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    When I want to hook the esata drive back up to computer as a backup data storage drive is there anything I have to do? Will windows format it? does it have a linux partition now? THanks again

13. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    repartition then format.. drive manager in xp..

14. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    Kewl

15. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    Well I ordered the new dvr today. $19.99 for shipping. They didnt say a thing about the old one. Its working fine on the external drive. I'am thinking once the new one comes I will just replace one of my SD tivos and have 2 hd dvrs now. Has anybody sent there old broken dvr back?

16. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    It'll likely be replaced by a refurb, IIRC, so that would be motivation for me to hang on to my original receiver, if it's only the hard drive causing the problem.