1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 noise

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cal87, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 6, 2007 #1 of 17
    cal87

cal87 AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    Anyone come up with a solution to cut down the noise of this unit? I just moved one into my bedroom yesterday, and the noise - especially the hard drive I think - was driving me crazy. I had to unplug it to be able to sleep. I have another one in my HT in an enclosed rack, and it does not bother me too much there.

I had a H20-600 in my bedroom before. This one had a PC fan dongle to keep it cool. I could hear that too at night, but this low hum does not bother me.

Any ideas? Otherwise, I think I am going to have to go back to the H20, or unplug it at night.

2. Jun 6, 2007 #2 of 17
    durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Can you put it in another room or would the cable run make it too difficult?

3. Jun 6, 2007 #3 of 17
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    You can possible put it in a closed cabinet with a chill mat on top and use the RF remote. I understand the -100 is quieter so maybe that's a worth while solution.

I wouldn't get in the habit of unplugging it since we've been advised to not do that and what good is a DVR unplugged.

4. Jun 6, 2007 #4 of 17
    cal87

cal87 AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    I agree, unplugging is a bad solution, but I couldn't sleep with the thing going. I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive that's annoying me.

The 100 would be nice, but from the other thread, I just purchased a black one to go in my HT with my other black components. I had two "free" 700s already from DirecTV, so I don't know how I would be able to swap for another 100, and I don't want to purchase.

I don't think it is feasible to move it out of the room, and some type of hushbox seems too unsightly and cumbersome. I was hoping someone here came up with an ingenious way to muffle the sound, and not have the temperature go up to 150.

5. Jun 6, 2007 #5 of 17
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Didn't realize it was you cal87! :)

Well you're in Tracy so if you want me to drive down there and take that off your hands I'll gladly do so.

The only problem I see the increase of the running temp if you try to dampen the noise by putting something on top of it or around it. You may be in a pickle.

6. Jun 6, 2007 #6 of 17
    grate88

grate88 DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I had hard drive chirp and frontal card reader area buzzing when I got my HR-20 700. An esata drive added storage and solved the hard drive noise. and paper shims in the card slot stopped the buzzing.

7. Jun 6, 2007 #7 of 17
    cal87

cal87 AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    Hey, that's a great idea. I have a 500GB eSATA that I can try out. I think it is fairly quiet. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Jun 6, 2007 #8 of 17
    grate88

grate88 DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    You're welcome - hope this solves the problem for you.

9. Jun 6, 2007 #9 of 17
    cal87

cal87 AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    I will certainly give it a shot. I will refrain from the next question for now (who makes the quietest eSATA if mine is too loud).

Still open to other suggestions to try out.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    IsoNodes also work great for reducing noise.

11. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    Maybe it could be placed under the bed! Mine sounds like a blender. Unfortunately it is not making margaritas. :)

12. HalfMoon

HalfMoon Mentor

Aug 10, 2003
    Wow. I'm surprised.

I'm a new HR20-700 owner, but the two I have are almost silent. The one in the bedroom is barely audible. Either that or the 6 years of a Tivo in my bedroom has made me partially deaf! ;)

Honestly though, my last Tivo unit in the bedroom was a Hughes SD box and it was nothing but HDD noise all night long. I used to wake up multiple times a night and have a hard time going back to sleep. Since the HR20, I've been sleeping like a baby.

Hopefully I got lucky and got quiet units, and they stay that way over time.

13. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Right now, I'm using my HR20 in the living room and my old HR10 in the bedroom. (To the chagrin of TiVo fanboys everywhere, I'll probably replace the HR10 with a second HR20 within a few months.)

Anyway, the HR10 is a little bit quieter than the HR20, but the difference is not huge.

The main sound that comes out of the HR10 is a whirring noise from its fan. It sounds not unlike air coming from an air conditioner vent. It's quite easy to sleep with. Any drive noises like head-seek clicks are very muted from my HR10.

In fact, I retired a GXCEBOT from my bedroom when I put the HR10 there a couple of months ago. The second hard drive I'd added to the GXCEBOT had developed a loud whine. (It was a Seagate, and they're rather notorious for that.) When I put the HR10 in the bedroom, I had to get used to sleeping in the relative quiet again! ;)

The main sound from my HR20 is head seeking noises from the drive. It makes a fairly constant "click-click-clikkity-clickkity-clickkity-click-ckick-clickity" all the time. It's most pronounced when playing back a recorded show and/or when the unit is recording, but it's somewhat present even in standby. It's not unreasonably loud, especially for the living room, but it is noticeable.

14. AlexH

AlexH New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    If it's a constant humming noise it may be coming from the outer shell resonating with the fan/hard-drive. I have this problem with mine - it has to be sitting just right otherwise it constantly makes this annoying humming/buzzing noise.

15. HD in LA

HD in LA AllStar

Aug 27, 2006
  16. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Remember, the HR20 is "always" recording because of the 90 minute buffer [even when in standby]. What I do at night is tune the HR20 to a channel that I do not get [like channel 95] and there is "no clicking" because there is nothing there to record! :)

Cheers,
    John

17. cal87

cal87 AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    We may have a winner!

I don't think the fan noise bothers me at all. Definitely the hard drive is annoying. We'll see how it sounds at night when all else is quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.