1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 pixelaion and audio drop outs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zcarguy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. zcarguy

zcarguy Mentor

Oct 18, 2005
    I have a 3 year old hr20-700 and a 2 year old hr21-700. Both have esata external drives on them. The HR20 has a seagate FAP 750 (almost from day 1) For the past few months i have been getting slight freezes and audio dropouts - sometimes every few minutes - (only on the hr20). I often record the same shows on both dvrs and the hr21 does not have the same problems. I am pretty sure it only happens while watching recordings (as i dont really watch live tv very much)

After checking that the connections were good I decided to pull the external drive and test the dvr using the internal drive to see if my problem persisted. I recorded my nightly ball game on the internal drive and i am now almost an hour and a half in and no freezes(i cant remember the watching a game without freezes and audio dropouts every few minutes). Is it safe to assume my Seagate FAP 750 is starting to fail? I have a lot of stuff on there and dont really want to get a new drive and start all over - but the freezes seem to be getting worse. I am not sure if it is heat related or age releated (the seagate FAP drive has run 24/7 for almost 3 years) but the FAP does get quite warm espcially in summer when the house is warmer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,

Z

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    You answered your own question although it's not what you want to hear.....

When runing your internal drive everythings fine; when runing your external you get the drop outs and pixelation. That can only point to the external drive as the source of the issue. Now wheather it's the drive itself, the power supply for the external case or the case itself (like a stuck cooling fan etc).

The only way to problem solve is to change out either the entire exteral drive with another and monitor the unit to see if the issue is then resolved, or try things like a difefrent power supply or pullling the drive out and placing it in a different external enclosure.

I only recommend a drive enclosure with active cooling. Case fans do a great deal towards adding to the life of the drives; where as most every passive cooling enclosure fails relatively fast in comparison.

3. zcarguy

zcarguy Mentor

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks for the reply,

I dont think the Seagate FAP has any cooling- it is enclosed in its own casing. I am thinking of installing a new drive internally as per this thread:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440

I am now wondering if I copy over my external drive contents to the new drive if the freezes will continue on the existing recordings. One thing I have to try to determine is if the problem occurs during recording or playback or both? I suspect the freeze are occuring during recording as I think some of my older shows playback flawlessly but I am not 100% sure on that.

4. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    ONLY upgrade the internal drive if it is an "owned" receiver as you will void the warranty and chance of DirecTV ever replacing the unit down the line without a possible chargeback to your account.

An external actively colled case and drive are a much easier and more versitile combination as you could then use it on a different systemn should you ever upgrade receivers down the line.

5. 818av

818av New Member

Mar 14, 2010

I've had a slightly different experience with pixelation, audio dropouts and maybe this might help you.

My Samsung Directivo SIR 4080 had the very same problems. One day I removed my Slingbox and the problems went away. I think some of these older boxes are powerful enough to drive external devices?

bg

6. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    How could your Samsung have the very same issue as the OP, as your unit doesn't even have the ability to add an external eSata enclosure since it doesn't incoporate an eSata connection port. :confused:

Just FYI, here's the the back of the old SIR-S4080R
    [​IMG]

At any rate your issue was not caused by the connection of a slingbox anyways; as it has nothing to do with interfering with the satellite signal or connect to anything other then the dvrs outputs for that matter so it would be impossible for it to cause the pixelation or issues you described as the "very same problem" anyways..

Sorry for the rant; however I just get rubbed the wrong way when people confuse the issue at hand.....