1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 Power Button Unresponsive - Is This A Common Problem???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MikeekiM, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I did a search on "power button" and got a million hits :)

My HR20-700 occasionally will not come out of standby... I use the remote, as well as the button on the front panel, to no avail..

Is this a common problem?

Will keeping my unit on all the time (not putting it in standby) solve this issue?

Thanks all...

2. KevetS

KevetS Mentor

Jan 29, 2006
    I haven't seen that problem.

3. 506PIR

506PIR Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    It happened to me today for the very 1st time. Turned it off. Went out. Came back tried to power it on with the remote. Nothing doing. Hit the power button on the unit. Nothing. Had to unplug for a minute or two. Works fine now

VERSION: 0x1a6

4. dwlevy

dwlevy Mentor

Sep 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Happens to my HR20-700 all the time. I just quit turning it off and it's been running fine for almost two weeks now. I just used the <left>+<right> front panel buttons to turn off the blue ring so it's not so bright.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that if you're having problems coming out of standby, you might eventually see that it's a hardware problem, or it could just be bad HDMI negotiation. Are you using HDMI?

6. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Happened to me on my HR20-100 today too. Just right now.

I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Should have tried RBR I guess.

7. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Yup...I am using HDMI...

8. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006

This is what I ended up doing with my two standard definition DirecTiVos... They used to lock up on me, but not anymore... ever since I just kept them out of standby they have been very stable... I may end up doing the same with my HR20 and see if stability improves...

9. notyourdaddy

notyourdaddy Cool Member

Aug 17, 2007
    this happens to me occasionally also. RBR and i'm good to go. I am using component cables.

I have also had it refuse to turn off a few times as well. RBR or in extreme cases pull the power and then it comes right back.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I returned from a vacation trip Saturday morning and found HR20-700 completely unresponsive to remote and front controls.

Tried reset and receiver hung up on Step 1 of 2. Called support and was told to unplug unit and try again. That didn't help either. I was then told to switch the two dish leads to receiver. That didn't work either. CSR suggested swapping my bedroom unit (Model D11, which was still working) with family room unit to see if problem was with receiver or wiring. Bedroom unit didn't work when hooked up to family room dish inputs. When I put the unit back in the bedroom it didn't work there either -- got searching for satellite signal.

Called D* back and scheduled service call. Eventually found a message in this forum suggesting that I unplug network connection and retry. That worked !:) Reset of HR20 completed both steps and all was well.

Surprisingly :eek2: I was then also able to reset the D11 unit and get my channels back in the bedroom.

Just to be on the safe side I have added the protection plan, although I think it is gouging for D* to charge for service calls on leased units when a problem arises.

Canceled service call. However I missed all the HD college games on Saturday plus several recordings scheduled while we were away.

I still have no idea why HR20 froze while we were away. I have component connection, not HDMI.

Bill

11. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I am not so worried about having to reset every so often...I don't like it, but it's just a minor inconvenience... IF...

The big if is whether the "to-do" list continued to get processed... Is this a full system lockup? Or is this just an unresponsive power button?

So far, I have not lost any scheduled recordings that I know of... If the problem was duplicatable/predictable, I would run a test... But alas...

12. annenoe

annenoe Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    My brand new HR20-700 has done this several times in 2 weeks. It becomes unresponsive to remote and front panel commands, even the RBR. I unplug and it's fine. Only problem is when I'm in the middle of recording something and it will no longer respond to pause - my only option is to reboot and break the recording. (But i'm usually recording backup on my HR10, which has not had any problems). I'm using HDMI.

13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I continue to be plagued with this problem!!! My HR20 goes into standby and I cannot "wake it up" using the power button... The problem is happening more and more often... But it still is intermittent... Not certain I would be able to duplicate it if a DirecTV person comes to troubleshoot...

14. Bobby42

Bobby42 Cool Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Sometimes, I can not get my unit to come back from standby using the remote. If i push the power button on the unit itself, it turns on just fine and the remote starts working again.

I do not use networking, and I'm not sure how HDMI can affect the ability to turn on the unit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.