1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR20-700 vs 100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mjd1969, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjd1969

mjd1969 New Member

May 11, 2007
    New to the forum. Great resource- I'm glad I found it.

I just upgraded to DTV HD package. They sent out an installer and he did the hookup and setup my HR20-100 box. He rushed through the box demo because he was late to his next appointment. A half hour after he left I realized that one tuner on the box was dead. The inputs were fine, just the tuner was dead. I called DTV and after three days of customer service hell, they sent a technician out to check the box. Sure enough, the second tuner was dead. DTV wouldn't allow him to swap it with a box in his truck- they had to mail me a new one. When the new one arrived, it was an HR20-700 model not the -100 model I originally had. It was refurbished on top of that.

I was pretty upset that I paid $200 for a new box, it was broken when installed, and now I get an older refurbed unit. One of the techs had warned me that the older -700 model had a lot of issues. I called DTV and insisted they send a new (not refurbed) -100 model. They tired to tell me there was no difference between the units, but I persisted and they sent me a new unit.

I now have a refurbed -700 unit and new -100 unit at home. Which is actually the best model to keep? I want the one with the least problematic track record. Is there a general consencious on this?

Thanks for the help.

2. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    so far 6 one way half dozen the other.. both are functionaly the same, right down to the same issues..

3. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...

I'd keep the 100. I like the way it vents, it runs cooler (the 700 seems to need an exteral fan), the outputs are in better positions too. Keep the 100 -- at least that would be MY preference.

4. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Wow, I had to think for a second whether or not I actually wrote that post. I had the exact same experience. Rushed demo, about 2 hours after the install of the HR20-100 I realized one of the tuners was dead.

I got a refurbed HR20-700 that so far (knock on wood) is working great. I do wonder if there is something inheritantly wrong with the production process of the HR20-100 though, because I've seen some other reports of bad tuners.

The one huge benfit I've seen of the 700 over the 100 is that the RF remote works much much better. The 100 RF remote barely even worked, whereas the 700 is very strong.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There was a batch of -700s with the same bad #2 tuner, so the "process" may be the same between the two. FWIW

6. Agrajag

Agrajag Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Wow, thanks for mentioning the RF remote problem on the 100. My mother got a 100 model (silver) and it was the first one I'd seen (I have a 700).

I turned on the RF for her and it was hideously bad. It was almost unusable. Went back to IR and now it's solid.

7. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 5, 2006
    Interesting results with the RF remote. You'd think it would be better with the 100 since you have an RF remote external antenna. I'll ask the dumb question... You did have an antenna connected to the RF remote antenna port on the back?

8. jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    The 100 runs a bit cooler. Otherwise no apprent functional difference with the national firmware releases.

Did you have the RF antenna installed with the 100?

9. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Yeah, I actually did have the antenna connected to the back of the 100. That is what I found so odd. The 700's antenna is internal and it works 100% better. I don't get it.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Even dumber question: is it on the RF or the OTA connector?

11. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    It was on the RF connector. That question was really pretty insulting.

12. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I didn't read it that way. If the connectors are the same size, it's something that could have inadvertently happened. Poster was only trying to be helpful. You Sox fans are so touchy! :lol: /s

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Please, it was not meant to be.
    I have made "dumb" mistakes, & sometimes the really dumb questions do help.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Just thinking back on some of mine makes me both smile and cringe. :lol:

Carl

15. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Don't be insulted.

Good problem solving takes nothing for granted. You always start with the basics.

Following the Installation Tips could have save this from happening. Each of those steps, even the ones that sound dumb all came from something that happened to someone who came before you.

- Craig

16. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Chat Room Moderator

Nov 29, 2005

You must not be used to VOS's style. ;)

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I've never been accused of having any...:)

18. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I didn't take it as being insulting, especially since some of the earlier postings about the HR20-100 mentioned installers connecting the RF antenna to the OTA connector - and some folks actually receiving OTA using it that way!:grin:

19. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Bull feathers.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I imagine HDTVsportsfan got my humor. It does lose a bit when quoted out of context, but while I have been accused of having no style, I've never been accused of having some. YMMV :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.