1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 what to do

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by o7RAVENS, May 24, 2013.

1. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    I have a question or two,I only have one DVR the HR20-700. Been with direct for about 11 yrs. now with the protection plan and I think that I may be in line for a free upgrade. question #1 Should I call now and get the HR34 or wait for the HR44 to be out? I'm in no special hurry, I just want to get the best DVR as this might be my last trade up.
    question #2 I watch a lot of local sub channels you know the ones with a dot after the main # such as 22.1 22.2 or another 26.1 26.2 26.3 and so on, I guess you call these sub chs. With the o7Ravens name you might see that I'm in Balt. Md. ok ok now to my Question Is the AM21 the thing to order so that I can see these stations on the guide so as to see what's on.
    Hope I made this clear enough, not to familiar with all the correct terms.
    Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    DirecTV would not guartantee an HR44, just a Genie. So even when it's fully launched (next month or two), you could get either.

You would want the AM21.

3. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    Thanks dpeters11 I thought I might need the AM21.
    Will they install this for me?

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not much to install really. Its a small receiver that connects to the DVR via USB and then you set it up for the zip codes you want and run I believe. Also, me personally a HR34 vs a HR44 dont matter. I am very happy with the HR34. Not a big enough reason to swap but if you dont mind waiting maybe wait. One question I have for you is, if you been with DirecTV that long and have a HR20-700, you could possible own it. If that is the case, you know an upgrade would be to leased equipment right? If you do own it, make sure they dont ask for it back, You could sell it if you wanted, if its owned that is.

5. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    I don't think I own it joshjr actually this is the second DVR the first one went bad after about two years and they sent me this one, both DVRs were HR700. Very slow but works ok in all other ways.
    Does Direct charge me if they hook it all up I'm in my 80s and sometimes things get a little confusing, doing ok so far though.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you have the protection plan the replacement would be owned, otherwise leased.

7. opelap

opelap Legend

Nov 4, 2006
    I would go 99% the unit is leased. I have been with DTV since 1996 and they went to the lease structure before the HR20 came out. All of my units were leased including the HR20 that was just replaced during my latest install.

It is old enough, they did not want it back, but it was still leased while I was using it.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    That's what I hoped, but I was talking to a CSR yesterday (trying to resolve an issue with my HR24), and she told me that I was eligible for a PP plan upgrade for my owned HR21-100, but the replacement would be a leased box with a 2 year commitment and she couldn't guarantee I would get an HR24, just an "HD DVR"!

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Upgrades wold be leased, though yeah, upgrade I your case may not be one. But if an owned box is replaced as defective and the customer has the PP, the replacement is owned. Otherwise, it's leased.

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    That is such bull if you bought it owned and get replaced as leased if no PP, So that means that no matter where you got it or is been verified as owned that they screw you for a leased box for simply not on PP?

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    What companies do you know that replace equipment you buy after the warranty has expired for free without some sort of replacement insurance(in this case PP) in place? If you want to own your Directv equipment and you want any free replacements to be owned, you carry the PP, if not, you get over it.

1 person likes this.
  12. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    I'v been reading the talk about the 34 and the 44 and it looks like the 44 might be worth waiting for plus it will give me some time to watch some of the movies I have on my HR20 700 lol I will get the HR 44 and the AM21 so lets get them suckers made and out to the people. I see a happy camper in the near future, I hope.

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Keep in mind if you upgrade to a Genie there are no guarantees which model you'll get from DirecTV. The only sure way of getting a HR44 is by purchasing one from Solid Signal.

14. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    Yeah but I'm supposed to get a free upgrade, can't beat free. I guess I will have to pay for the AM21.
    I was told they are not making the 34 any more that only the 44 is being made as far as the genies go. I hope thus is true so I don't wait forever and then still get a 34. Do I have to rethink this?

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I would rethink it if I were you. I believe there are already refurbed HR34's in the pipeline so again there is NO guarantee to what Genie model you would get. Until D* decides to change their policy, they will not guarantee specific models. If you want a specific model, order it from SS or Weaknees, but you may not be able to get D* to give you a free or heavily discounted upgrade to Genie if you are eligible when you go that route.

16. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    The HR20 is so old that DirecTV doesn't want them anymore. So you may be asked to keep it and do what you want with it. That's what they did with me, so I sold it on ebay and applied the money toward my HR34. If they say they don't want it back be sure to ask.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I think this has changed in recent months...I believe they will allow you to keep it, but will not activate it on someone else's account, even with a new access card. Here's the scenario I believe they are trying to dissuade: You sell it on ebay for $50 to someone that has the PP, they activate it on their acct and the next month the HDD dies, or tuner 2 dies. They call in and try to get it replaced owned for owned, and D* would need to send them another one, perhaps an HR24. Now someone just got an owned HR24 for $50.....they want to get the really old equipment service, not perpetuate its use.

18. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Seems like a pretty odd thing to disuade. Sounds like an extremely rare occurance. But, I would ask. Couldn't hurt.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on! people could just sell the HR20 as a "pass" to get an HDDVR for very little money. I could just place a broken HR20 on eBay
    and have the listing say "broken HR20 for $50.00, call DirecTV they will replace with another one"

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good luck on activating one on a new account or new owner!