1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 with 1TB External... still dead :(

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jpfisher, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jpfisher

jpfisher New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Ok guys, I was victim of the mass issue that we all were yesterday. I got home last night, and rebooted my DVR as instructed, and a screen came up telling me that there was an issue with my external (1TB WD My Book Studio configured as a RAID 0) drive.

I let it scan. Finished tonight around 10pm and said there were still errors. Disconnected the external and the internal disk works fine. But no matter how many times I tried, I could not get the external to boot -- it keeps going to the "A Problem Has Been Detected with your Hard Disk" screen.

So I hooked up the drive to my computer -- WD RAID manager says the disk is healthy, no issues. I said "screw it, I'm going to format the drive and start fresh. I don't have time for this."

And now? Still giving me the error -- with a freshly formatted drive. It's been a while (a year?) since I set up the drive initially, I'm wondering if I did something wrong? I formatted as HFS+, should I have done something else -- FAT32? Please help. I'm at my wit's end. I had a lot of stuff on the disk that I had set aside for summer viewing, but now I just want it to work. The internal disk in the HR20 is completely inadequate for me, and this setup was working perfectly prior to the issues yesterday.

Help, before I jump out the window? (it's only the second floor.... I won't die, but I'll probably break something)

2. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Try taking the drive out of the case, then removing the internal drive and put the external drive inside the reciever. See if that works.

3. jpfisher

jpfisher New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    It's a dual-drive RAID 0, so doing that is going to make it a 500gb drive rather than a 1TB... I'm not opposed to opening the box on principle -- I own the hardware and it's well out of warranty.

Is there a tutorial here for replacing the internal drive? Can I put a new one in without copying data to it, or do I need to clone the DVR's current internal to the new internal first?

I've got no issues with buying a new internal SATA and swapping it out. I only used this external because I had it handy, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly before I jump in.

Thanks,

(still not working this morning)

Jim

4. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    As it is a HR20 700 and the clock is ticking on its lifespan and you've wiped the RAID....This is what I'd do. Get a WD 2tb dive they go for under 150 now days and put it in a AZIO ENC311SU31 enclosure they go for 30 bucks delivered. (Yes I know the Anitec is popular but they are noisy. I hate noise.) Enjoy the drive and the space, just don't fall in love with the programing. When your HR20 finally goes kaput you can use the drive on the replacement DRV but of course you'll loose the programing. I've had multiple versions of this system running flawlessly and silently for years. Good luck

5. jpfisher

jpfisher New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Elixir,

Thanks for the advice -- I ordered a new drive today, went with a Seagate Barracuda. I have a MacAlly enclosure laying around, but I think I'm going to follow the tutorial here and open it the HR20 up and replace the internal -- use one less power outlet that way and I own the DVR outright, so I'm not concerned about violating any lease with DTV.

Thanks so much for your help, and to CopyCat for sending me the link to the disassembly tutorial for the HR20.

Best,

Jim

6. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Its not hard to replace the internal. Just open it up, remove the hard drive and put the new one in. No need to format or anything. I did that with my hr20. Easy as pie. A lot easier than the tivo used to be.